Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I have done some quick cramming through the 6.5 faqs. Thank you all for having these available!:ro)

Now for the questions.

My younger brother is looking at purchasing a 1992 6.5 TD 2500 5 speed. He intends on towing his 30 ft. 5th wheel with the truck. He works construction, so he would be moving it every month or so. Since most of the faq stuff appeared to be for 1994 and newer, what should be expected with this 1992. I believe it is pre computer with a mechanical pump. I have "heard" that the 1993's and older were "considered" the best so help me out.

On Edit:

What do parts cost? PMD, lift pumps, injection pumps, etc. All of the "weak" and failure prone parts. Also, how often do they need to be changed?

Thanks!:ro)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I bought my 93 from the origional owner and all he bought it for was to tow a 5th wheel. In fact, I have the origional receipts for both the truck and the 5th wheel from the same dealership. I bought it with 68,000 miles on it and my problems stemed from lack of driving and of course a new addiction to diesel power):h hence the reason for the extra parts..

Ultimately, the truck should be a good truck based on miles and proper maintenance. Strong puller and good riding, just stay away from the Ranch 5000's:(

Mark

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
dont think you can go wrong with a mech IP i have a 93 and love it much eaiser to work on then my old 99 6.5 td there very simple to understand as long as your mechanicly inclined and seeing as your brother is in the trades this truck should treat him very well my 93 dosent have major power but it gets the job done and its very reliable id say tell him to buy it and enjoy it

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am interested in your answers. I bought a '93 C-3500 with a five speed from the 2nd owner in August. I have all receipts since the truck had 54K miles on it. It has the Banks Stinger kit, injectors at 110K, new clutch pressure plate and new flywheel at 114K, new 4 core radiator at 100K. The oil never went 3,000 miles without changing and filter. The truck is as new inside and out. The A/C still has the original Freon 12 and is ice cold. The 2nd owner (retired gentleman) pulled a 20 foot flat bed trailer from here (Arkansas) to California several times moving his daughters furniture. It was his daily driver. It now has 135K uses no oil, starts easily and gets about 18 mpg. doing highway driving at 65. I have put about 3,000 miles on it and can find no problems. I bought it to pull my horse trailer (8,000 lbs.) to Colorado in the summers but after lurking on this site for 5 months I am concerned about it's reliability. Sorry for the long post and I don't mean to hijack your post. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I am interested in your answers. I bought a '93 C-3500 with a five speed from the 2nd owner in August. I have all receipts since the truck had 54K miles on it. It has the Banks Stinger kit, injectors at 110K, new clutch pressure plate and new flywheel at 114K, new 4 core radiator at 100K. The oil never went 3,000 miles without changing and filter. The truck is as new inside and out. The A/C still has the original Freon 12 and is ice cold. The 2nd owner (retired gentleman) pulled a 20 foot flat bed trailer from here (Arkansas) to California several times moving his daughters furniture. It was his daily driver. It now has 135K uses no oil, starts easily and gets about 18 mpg. doing highway driving at 65. I have put about 3,000 miles on it and can find no problems. I bought it to pull my horse trailer (8,000 lbs.) to Colorado in the summers but after lurking on this site for 5 months I am concerned about it's reliability. Sorry for the long post and I don't mean to hijack your post. Thanks.
Just based on your statements and how the truck is doing, you should have no probs aside from the normal wear and tear from the daily driving. You have good MPG and keep doing the regular interval changeouts and you will last a long time.:)

Mark

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
biggest problem would be engine temps keep a close eyes on thoes and flush out your cooling system sounds like you have a very reliable truck and it should give you many more miles read thru the faq's youll be surprised what these motors are capable of your big plus is having a mech IP i beat the hell out out my truck daily and would go on a long trip with out thinking twice after chnaging the oil ofcourse but i do regular matinence to it and it has not left me stranded rember your truck is 13 years old stuff starts to get old replace it when needed if not before and youll be a very happy 6.5td owner

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's why I bought an older truck with the mechanical pump. I have two Massey Fergusons and a Ford tractor with the mechanical pumps and I have never (in 20 years) had a problem with them. I have driven a 79 K2500 since 1982 and it has served me well-newer is not always better. My 6.5 only goes about 10 psi at max boost and egt's have not gone over about 900 towing a trailer in the mountains. I don't drive it hard-I'm not usually in much of a hurry. How many miles can I expect out of my IP? Is there a test for them before they fail? Thanks

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What do parts cost? PMD, lift pumps, injection pumps, etc. All of the "weak" and failure prone parts. Also, how often do they need to be changed?
92 and 93's don't have PMD's:thumb: Plus the mechanical injection pumps are cheaper than the electronic pumps. Lift pumps are not very expensive. Some pumps last along time, some don't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also bought mine due to the mechanical pump. The only real issues I had before my mods was engine temp. The 97 cooling upgrade took care of that. I pull a 35Ft fifth wheel camper, around 8000 lbs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Howdy Redmuleman,glad to see another Arky on here.I've been on this site since it was new.I just don't type much.I have a 93 Chevy that I got 178OOO miles on the pump before I changed it out.I also changed the injectors out at the same time.The original water pump went out at 160000 miles.Other than 3 ops,2 lift pumps, hoses, 2 sets of brakes and 1 clutch at 126000, this has been the best truck that I have ever owned.I have owned about 7 different chevys and GMC's over the years,all 1 tons or heavy 3/4 tons with 454's or 350's to pull my gn trailers with.I usually drive them in the ground before I get another one, but I'm going to keep this one.I'm at 218000 miles now.The best things that I have done to the truck which T totaly changed it, were the addition of a 4 inch exhaust,Heath turbo master and turning the pump up a little. All that I can say is WOW !!. Should have done it at 100 miles.I wouldn't give up this dependability and simplicity for a new D-MAX.I drive it daily, about 100 miles a day,getting 18 mpg empty.On my wish list is a aux OD unit for my 5-speed.I guess I need to change the mileage on my sig below....Lineman....

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice.:ro)

My brother called last night after the test drive and was impressed (compared to his 1989 350). He made the deal and should pick it up this weekend.

I imagine that I will probably have more questions and post in the future.

Thanks!

P.S. I have already donated my old egt guage and boost guage. I'll let him start there with the mods. Otherwise, the first thing will be changing all the fluids.:grd:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I imagine that I will probably have more questions and post in the future.
Tell your brother to join the forum, always room for more newbies.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
My 89 still has the original IP 5-600,000 miles. We don't know the exact milage as the odometer quit in 91 or 92 at 108,000 miles. One year I put 45,000 miles on in 9 monthes. That's just miles that I kept track of. To bad the old girl is starting to rust away.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
My 89 still has the original IP 5-600,000 miles. We don't know the exact milage as the odometer quit in 91 or 92 at 108,000 miles. One year I put 45,000 miles on in 9 monthes. That's just miles that I kept track of. To bad the old girl is starting to rust away.
Do you use a fuel additive and/or extra filtration?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell your brother to join the forum, always room for more newbies.
I would, but he travels constantly and hasn't ponied up for an internet service that will be travel friendly. Heck, I am suprised he has a cell phone.:eek: ;)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Glad to here he got it/is getting it. Get some pics after the transaction and I'm sure he'll be happy with it.:)

Mark

·
Registered
473 Posts
cdhd2001,

Your brother may want to look at '97 cooling mods & low restriction exhaust + your guages if he's towing. I tow equipment trailer up to the 10,000 lb. limit on mine occasionally; they make a big difference. I bought my '93 truck 3 years ago with 85K and how have 110K. Get around 18 mpg with easy highway driving. I did the upgrades as original parts went. Replaced the injection pump last year at 109K, about normal from what I've read here. Depending on fuel quality, luck etc. these pumps seem to last around 100 - 150K. What goes on the DB-2 pump are the rotary head and seals. A good reman IP goes for around $800 - 900 in the box.

I've also replaced lift pumps 3 times :mad: . I've been messing around with biodiesel, so might have aggravated these 'normal' problems :eek:: .

How many miles on his truck? Looking forward to pictures.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cdhd2001,

Your brother may want to look at '97 cooling mods & low restriction exhaust + your guages if he's towing. I tow equipment trailer up to the 10,000 lb. limit on mine occasionally; they make a big difference. I bought my '93 truck 3 years ago with 85K and how have 110K. Get around 18 mpg with easy highway driving. I did the upgrades as original parts went. Replaced the injection pump last year at 109K, about normal from what I've read here. Depending on fuel quality, luck etc. these pumps seem to last around 100 - 150K. What goes on the DB-2 pump are the rotary head and seals. A good reman IP goes for around $800 - 900 in the box.

I've also replaced lift pumps 3 times :mad: . I've been messing around with biodiesel, so might have aggravated these 'normal' problems :eek:: .

How many miles on his truck? Looking forward to pictures.
The truck is:

1992 Chevy Silverado RC LB 2500 heavy duty (big rear axle)
5 speed
4.10 rear posi
137k miles
runs great, 1 owner truck, good paint, immaculate interior, all maintenance records, rotella every 4k miles, all fluids serviced.

If he will treat it right I think it will be a good truck. However, he blew the engine (350) in his last truck twice in 12 months, so..... Still a little immature at 24 years old, but....
:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts