Diesel Place banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well no matter what I do, I cannot mount the 4x4 oil filter adapter, both the original and the later style(later style points filter more towards frame)

I am fighting 2 issues with that adapter, one is the filter hits the lines-I had a -8 line made up to replace one of the -10 lines- still no go. The second is the base the oil filter mounts to actually hits the 90 degree oil line adapter fittings from block...no way around that.

So I'm attempting to mod one of the adapters, and I picked up a WIX 24766 filter base, hopefully I can get everything all set up to make it all fit good.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Was able to mount the 4x4 adapter, modifying the other adapter didn't pan out as well as I was hoping. Took some work to get the adapter and lines in the right spot to fit. Been working fine with no leaks the last few days.

I finally broke down and ordered a radiator and thermostat. Ended up snapping the bolt off in the crossover, so spent a good portion trying to carefully drill it out, ended up slightly off center (as usual) but was no issue as when I inspected the threads on both holes, I realized a helicoil was the only good fix. And I fixed that factory problem by installing studs.

And I finally took the time to make a proper bracket for the transmission cooler.

One thing I was not impressed with, and I'll see how it works, but this spectra cu391 radiator uses an adapter bushing for the lower passenger outlet hose...right now though, there are no more leaks, so that's a plus.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
New radiator was bad, leaking from the side tank seam to core...not impressed at all, came outside to a decent puddle under the truck, all hose connections were dry, and it was filling the lower rubber isolator, before dripping to the ground. This was yesterday morning. I removed the new radiator to inspect it, decided on a full return right now.

After plowing this morning I took the old radiator, soldered the heater hose nipple back on. I then applied some air after taping off all outlets. Couldn't find any other leaks. It held 5 psi for a while, good enough for now.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I picked up an underdash cupholder, the stock slide out and down one.

Just a question of what hardware do I need to mount the cupholder?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Just a peak at what's on my plate for tomorrow...figure something is up with the sending unit as it smokes and chugs terrible at start up with less than 1/2 a tank, still smokes and chugs with more than 1/2, but that typically clears in less then a minute. Below half, takes almost 5 minutes for the bubbles to stop flowing in the clear return line...to be continued.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Nothing appeared wrong with old sender, I did replace anyways, all new lines. Do need to replace two sections of return line under the hood, but everything tank to fuel filter is new. I do know the main feed line was pretty damp all the time, hopefully this solves my air issue after sitting. Otherwise I'm getting rid of the box filter and getting something else.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Done a few things here and there, cup holder mounted-now I can bring my morning coffee to work without spilling it.

And working on a rear bumper(used, but good condition) putting some flush mount lights in it. Painted one side, will do other side tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Bumper mounted. Lights temporarily hooked up, will be adding a toggle so they can be solely reverse or auxiliary as needed. Do need to put on outer brackets, but I will need to figure out the outer/upper captive nut, will likely have to weld a nut to some flat stock-no room for a wrench.

And the old bumper for comparison.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Cool! Where did you get the lights in the bumper?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
They are Blazer flush mount lights. I got them from Autozone, I've had good success with Blazer before and with my rewards discount figured they would be worth it. They come with a weather tight quick disconnect connector and splice, so I would be able to change a light if needed without any trouble.

I'm working on a relay harness, and will hopefully have it done this weekend. I am planning on adding the trailer wiring reverse lights to run off the same circuit, so that will take all the strain off the factory harness.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
New mirrors, went tow style, got the ones with the better reviews on Amazon; ECCPP Brand.

Also had to replace driver side door handle (almost thought about Kodiak handles), drivers side-already replaced once, but the lock cylinder wouldn't lock in place, plus it was really loose in the bore; had a good fun one day in a Walmart parking lot when I tried to put the key in, and pushed the cylinder right out...hadn't changed the lock cylinder on the passenger side yet either...

Also started work on relay for reverse/auxiliary lights, only need to run the main power wire back along frame, then that is done.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Reverse relay done. One or two minor things I will tidy up (weatherpack connector at rear for a disconnect, and some actual harness clips rather then zipties.)

But now I have some decent auxiliary lights when I need them.

Ran the power wire to rear along passenger framerail-was much easier then trying to get behind the fuel tank.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Did front shocks the other day, smoothed out this odd vibration I had around 30 mph and at 50 mph. The top bushing would move up and down half an inch, both steel bushing and bolt were severely worn. Sorry no pics.

Other then that, been going good, no real issues have popped up. Put on roughly 800 miles since tranny rebuild, speedo and odometer are very likely off with the bigger tires. Runs good.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Let's see...ended up doing both sets of upper bushings, got a proper alignment, rotated tires, passenger front was starting to chop.

Thought I was still chasing an airleak(possible, as the drain valve on the coolant crossover started to leak visibly) but I had changed out the square Fuel filter and made a bracket to mount a 6.5 FFM(pics to follow)....well I went to bleed the filter, and it was taking forever to get fuel-I could hear the pump(jumping the relay), but nothing was coming...WTH... tried again, got just a little fuel, enough to dribble down the FFM. so I tightened the bleeder and tried to start the truck...took 3 tries and smoked like heck....

I drove it for a day, and when I went to use the T-drain, got nothing, and the truck started to stumble...plus the drain started to leak. I've tested the lift pump before, and its always passed, maybe marginally, but its always pushed fuel out in an acceptable amount. Could hear and feel the pump "working" when I got under the truck.

Well I replaced the pump, and fixed the t-drain...seems like an all new animal, priming the filter by jumping the relay took 5 seconds, I had replaced the clear line on IP return with another line as well. The truck fired right up, no hesitation, NO smoke. I don't have Fuel Pressure gauges in any of my 2 trucks, but this really makes me want to get one. I'm betting the old pump barely could keep pressure enough, and it was likely intermittent as well, which would really explain why it started easier with less smoke some days.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Been a while, running good, a little white smoke and sputtering when first starting, but I think that's all the IP, something that will get changed out when I finally get some time and proper money to put the turbo on.

But one major change I just did was a new(to me) grille and changed from the single 5x7 headlights to the composite headlights. I do like the single headlights more, with the exception of the early GMC grilles, just something about them. I did not change out the emblem yet, my old one is in better shape, but I have a few things to check out first.

Before

After

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
And one more change, steel cowl hood. The hood came on a parts truck I picked up for free, the rear full float in the parts truck will eventually find its way into this truck as well. It also has two brand new GM certified replacement fenders that will eventually replace mine as well.

It feels like it gained 20 horses, and I haven't even started it!! Just kidding, figured since it was free and the paint I already had from a few other projects why not.

I also only spray bombed the hood, so it's not an exact color match, I intend to in the maybe distant future, repaint the whole truck, some of the paint is faded, some just doesn't even match.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
P.S. Rustoleum International Harvester Red is a darker red then Krylon International Harvester Red. I tested a few spare cans, the Rustoleum matched pretty good, but I also had two cans of the Krylon. I finished with the Krylon , so it is a much lighter red.....I was not expecting that.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts