Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, in my previous presentation post (check here Question: - Hi there ! ) i showed you my acquisition, so I've a question for you, because you're a bunch of experts in the Gm diesel world, and my only experience was driving a military K5 in my teenage day's; so whatever; here's the situation; i got a 1991 G20 van with a dead engine, you can see on the picture, the oil pan was shredded by the inside, i suppose the that the crankshaft broke, this is dirty, but i got the wreck with everything else working for about 1000€, not a bad deal. check this;

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud Gas Auto part Automotive fuel system Automotive design Metal Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grey

So there's my question; i can get a brand new 6.2 engine, from a military surplus, it's the Humvee issued i think (i'm not sure, but pretty sure)

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Nut

It that possible to use them ? the main block mount is the same than the 6.2 in the G20 ? what's the major difference ? manifold ? head cover ? it's possible to remove EGR in the same time than swapping ? can i use the intake of the military one (no EGR) ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You said it's new, how do you know it's new, the 6.2 hasn't been produced in many years. My bet is it's used and in need of a full rebuild, if it's worth building at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You said it's new, how do you know it's new, the 6.2 hasn't been produced in many years. My bet is it's used and in need of a full rebuild, if it's worth building at all.
i don't know if they new, but the engine come from a dismantled us military base in Germany, theses unit was sold for auction. I think they are military spec remanufact, but i'm not sure, however it's the nicest i can find without driving 1500km, all other one are from old civilian vehicule, with more than 300 000km on the dash.

I actually don't have the personals experience to rebuild an engine, i will tryout one day, when i got the time to learn; it's another think's that playing with old hardware. thanks for the advice.

But it's possible to use the military one ?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Long blocks are the same. The IP on the military engine is 24v.
You can use the IP you have or use parts from it to convert the 24v. IP to 12v.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long blocks are the same. The IP on the military engine is 24v.
You can use the IP you have or use parts from it to convert the 24v. IP to 12v.
Thanks ! it's what i've read by searching on the forum before asking; the Injection pump solenoid.

Another question; i've read somewhere than then bolt head on humvee and Gm van are angled different than the military truck ?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
A 6.5td that came with the center mount turbo has the 60 deg. intake bolts.
All the rest are 90 deg., like what you have.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 6.5td that came with the center mount turbo has the 60 deg. intake bolts.
All the rest are 90 deg., like what you have.
Thanks for the response, so i got two military remanufactured engine siting in a army deport for many many years for a very decent price;

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

some one know the procedure or have the blue print for the "oil priming tool" used in the speed sensor port ?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,644 Posts
Those engines are pretty clean I have to say.I’d probably pull off the oil pan and check out the rod bearings and main bearings up front which are the farthest away from the oil pump and see how they look.If they are decent that’s one less thing to worry about.

You can probably make the oil pump priming tool yourself out of an old vacuum pump drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those engines are pretty clean I have to say.I’d probably pull off the oil pan and check out the rod bearings and main bearings up front which are the farthest away from the oil pump and see how they look.If they are decent that’s one less thing to worry about.

You can probably make the oil pump priming tool yourself out of an old vacuum pump drive.
This is what i've think yesterday; making it from the old speed sensor/vacuum pump shaft.

Yesterday i made a better electric fan conversion for my other van, the old one is was in a "pusher" configuration from the front of the radiator, this one is a complete drop in template, using factory bolt, two Hayden rapid cool fan in puller configuration; seam's to work well, i just need to check if they don't drain the battery

Rectangle Font Line Material property Tints and shades Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire

i don't like electric fan, but there's no place at all in the van engine bay, when you open the hood, it's not like the military truck/blazer, now i can clearly do some stuff like changing a belt in a emergency situation.

if some one need the template/solidwork project, let me know ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the response, so i got two military remanufactured engine siting in a army deport for many many years for a very decent price;

View attachment 646187 View attachment 646188

some one know the procedure or have the blue print for the "oil priming tool" used in the speed sensor port ?
While unrelated to your thread, could you tell us your source for these engines ? I've done some looking at some gov auction sites without much luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While unrelated to your thread, could you tell us your source for these engines ? I've done some looking at some gov auction sites without much luck.
remember; i'm in Europe, Belgium exactly :rolleyes: i found theses engines in a US military base liquidation in Holland/Netherlands, and theses auctions happens usually twice a year;

here an example, you action is closed but you can check what's gone before; Troostwijk

you can find used army/civilian vehicle like these; Troostwijk

i miss theses one, mep generator, i'm really sad, there was about ten like these for sale in really good shape; Troostwijk

about engines & trans for sale; here's some example;

Troostwijk

Troostwijk

Troostwijk

i'm not kidding, theses two trans gone for about 450€ each ... you can find on the sales list, there's about 50 of theses sold

five year ago i seen a bunch of reman 6.5L in box for sale, they are gone for less than 800€ each.

The two engine i got was from a lot of 3 units, i buy the two lasting from a re-seller, but the sold me each for about 1000€, i assuming they got them for half the price (if not lower) from the auction. There's not really some interested people for these kind of hardware here. I buy the two because it's become very rare to find them, all other source are from old donor vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts