Diesel Place banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
And because I need some way to torque the rear nut, and the O.E. tool is apparently hard to find, I made this out of some scrap metal. I'll see how it works later/tomorrow. I added a bolt and nut, welded nut to bolt, and bolt to the 'tool', just after I took this picture. Also the little tabs are welded on the backside, although there isn't much material...

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
So I think my tool works ok, but I think the bolt(grade 10.9 metric) I welded to it was starting to break by the time my torque wrench clicked at 250ft-lb. I'll figure something out if I rebuild another nv4500.

But almost complete, just need to clean the top cover. Then I get to mutilate my newly painted floor and fresh vinyl floor...gonna be worth it though!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
And some more...

Transfer case is almost completely in, my carpal tunnel was getting the best of me, plus it's feeling like 120 with the humidity. So I still need a couple bolts, re-attach and adjust 4x4 lever (it's always been a little out of wack-made going into 4 low pretty hard) put clutch slave, exhaust and driveshafts in. Then a few minor things to clean up the interior.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
All in, might have a small leak at the transfer case adapter, will check in another day.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Question - as this was an auto originally, do you have the low hump floor without the removable section? As I'm working a TH400 > NV4500 swap, I'm trying to determine if it will fit under the stock floor or if I will need to cut and install a high-hump center.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Question - as this was an auto originally, do you have the low hump floor without the removable section? As I'm working a TH400 > NV4500 swap, I'm trying to determine if it will fit under the stock floor or if I will need to cut and install a high-hump center.
The only low hump applications was 2 wheel drive automatics. All 4x4 and manual transmission models got the high hump.

So since mine was originally a 4x4 model, even though it was an automatic, it came with the high hump.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
The only low hump applications was 2 wheel drive automatics. All 4x4 and manual transmission models got the high hump.

So since mine was originally a 4x4 model, even though it was an automatic, it came with the high hump.

How much clearance do you have between the trans and the hump? I have a 2wd automatic...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Like 2 inches max. The manual transmission don't slope back like an automatic. Your going to definitely want to swap in a new hump. What I would do is cut a high hump out and create a removable tunnel. Use some foam weather stripping and self tapping screws to hold the new tunnel.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Like 2 inches max. The manual transmission don't slope back like an automatic. Your going to definitely want to swap in a new hump. What I would do is cut a high hump out and create a removable tunnel. Use some foam weather stripping and self tapping screws to hold the new tunnel.

Thanks! I think that is my plan.

181 - 191 of 191 Posts