Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My burb will not start and after disconnecting the terminals from the battery I found that the feeds that go to the fuse block are grounding out!!! Does anybody know if there is a neutral safety switch? Has amnybody else ever had this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yes, there is a neutral safety switch. I don't remember where it is on these GM rigs, never had trouble with one. The only thought I have would be to try it in neutral as well as park.

I'm guessing that's not your problem, though. Need more details.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I messed up on the first post. The terminals that I disconnected were the ones that get bolted to the starter along with the + wire that comes from the battery. After they were both disconnected, the wires that lead to the fuse block are grounded somewhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Neutral safety switch is located at the bottom of the steering column.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
To test (bypass) the neutral switch, take the two-wire connector with the purple wires off the switch, located on top of the column, about 8-10" from the bulkhead, jumper the connector and try the starter. The purple wire(s) come directly from the ign switch and go through the neutral switch to the crank terminal (marked "S") on the solenoid. If it cranks with the wires jumpered, the switch may be defective or out of adjustment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have taken apart allot of connections, and I still cannot find where the ground is coming from. So far about half of the fuse block panel is grounded. I have disconnected engine side of the fuse block, and a bunch of the bundles coming down the steering column. Any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well... I had an ignition switch failure, which I initially thought might be the neutral switch. WhenI investigated I dicovered the failure in the ignition switch melted part of the switch and the connector. These are both on the top of the steering column, just behind the dash. To get to this switch, you have to "drop" the steering column. The connector on the harness was so fried, I had to go to a junk yard an cut one off a hulk.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hmmmm. What are some of the symptoms of the safety switch problem? I've got an '87 which died a few times while driving! Now it's dead, D-E-D, dead:eek:

I can turn the headlights on, interior lighting is good. Dashboard is dead and the voltage guage reads nada. Power windows & locks are gone as well. When it died while driving I noticed the radio went first and the engine died about 5 seconds later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A lot of those circuits will look like they are grounded to a meter because there is a lightbulb across the circuit. A light bulb filament will read near zero. Are you making these checks with the batteries disconnected? A true short will draw lots of amps and maybe even make smoke....

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think you may be confusing a complete cercuit with a short. Id'e get it running first then check for shorts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts