Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon..FNG here! I recently bought a 84 k5 with a 6.2 in it. It hasn’t run in 10 yrs or so, so im gonna start working it shortly. My question is can you remove the ecm and emission garbage without any major issues? From the schematics I’ve seen it looks like that ecm controls the tcc lock up! May wire a switch to control that?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Howdy. To my knowledge, none of the 6.2s had an ECM. Probably not until 1988 or newer. If the transmission is a 700r4. The TPS on the RH Side injection pump is for the 700r4 and controls your shift points which connects to the trans harness, under your Trans pan is your tcc solenoid. do you have any photo's...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy. To my knowledge, none of the 6.2s had an ECM. Probably not until 1988 or newer. If the transmission is a 700r4. The TPS on the RH Side injection pump is for the 700r4 and controls your shift points which connects to the trans harness, under your Trans pan is your tcc solenoid. do you have any photo's...
I’ll get some picture to post this evening. It has a ALDL port in the cab and it does have the TPS on the side of the injection pump. Is it because it’s a California build?

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is no ECU that controls the engine on the 6.2.

The TPS on the R side is for the transmission.

The California model that had EGR and the C code intake manifold did not have any sort of ECM either. You can remove all that and will be just fine.

You only need 1 wire for the injection pump to run. I would argue that you need 2 for it to run well (cold advance).

If it hasn't run in 10 years I would definitely order some glow plugs and ensure your glow plug controller is working. The old round flashbang looking glow plug controllers are still available but you might consider upgrading to manual glow plug switch (lots of write ups on the forums). It's a great mod.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I’ll get some picture to post this evening. It has a ALDL port in the cab and it does have the TPS on the side of the injection pump. Is it because it’s a California build?
TPS has nothing to do with Emissions or California. That's for the transmission to shift it and the TPS also controls the shifting points. As @TheJoggernot has stated, 1 wire to run the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump, but if you live in an area that gets cold (under 40F) during winter months the Cold idle advance could be useful, it bumps up the RPM of the engine during warmup after starting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok! So c
TPS has nothing to do with Emissions or California. That's for the transmission to shift it and the TPS also controls the shifting points. As @TheJoggernot has stated, 1 wire to run the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump, but if you live in an area that gets cold (under 40F) during winter months the Cold idle advance could be useful, it bumps up the RPM of the engine during warmup after starting.
Ok. So can the TPS still be remove and the tranny perform properly? I was planning on buying the bow tie overdrive relay kit for the TCC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok! So c

Ok. So can the TPS still be remove and the tranny perform properly? I was planning on buying the bow tie overdrive relay kit for the TCC.
What transmission are you going to run? I'm guessing the stock transmission did not have an OD ? 😁

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gotcha.

You'll need the TPS on there for shift points.

Those lockup kits are cool. I had one on an old k1500 with a 4l60e that was on a switch. Unfortunately my torque converter was no good from the get go but it was a good mod.

Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ok! So c

No. You need the TPS for the transmission. Never heard of the overdrive kit you are talking about. A diesel 700r4 is different from a Gas 700r4. Same transmissions but many diesel only specific parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts