Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, this is my first thread, and I am not very knowledgeable car wise, so if you could dumb it down for me it would be great.:eek::
This 1984 Chevrolet Blazer has been in my family for years. My parents and both my older sisters have used it. Ever since I can remember it has had problems. I think it has gone through at least 2 maybe even 3 engines. Currently it is sitting at my parents house collecting dust.The wiring currently needs to be replaced in multiple areas, back electric window, power door locks, and power windows do not work. It most likely has problems elsewhere(under the hood) that I am not aware of. I was planning on possibly refurbishing it, get it running and nothing special, due to my need of a car and the sad sight of seeing a vehicle, in my eyes, that has so much potential that just sits there. So, finally here is my question, do you guys think I should put the time, energy and funds into this vehicle to see it run again? I plan to use it for a long time and it seems with enough hard work I could make it be a good vehicle. It is in good shape exterior and interior and I can most likely get it from my parents for free or decently cheap. It is a 1984 Chevrolet Blazer, 4X4, K5, gas(sadly, I wish it was diesel). Eventually, I would want to convert it to diesel, though I do not know if it would be worth it.
Thanks for your input!

P.S. If you do suggest I work on it, can you suggest a manual for me to use to help guide this noob through repairs?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You could indeed do something with it, but depends upon how much time you have, effort your willing to put into it, and what it will be worth in the end to you. Don't quote me on this, but I think an 84 may, just may have had an option for a 6.2. You could do a 6.5 engine, with a mechanical injection pump. Don't know if you have a 700R4 tranny, or what in that, but maybe we could send this over to the 6.2 forum, and have some input from those folks.

There were two years of mechanical injected 6.5's (92/93). Most of our 6.5 world is the electronic injected engine 94+, which would require a lot more wiring, computer/ECM stuff, etc, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts