Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 k20 6.2 looking to buy a exhaust for it. what would be a good exhaust? I need a complete system from manifold back.

·
Administrator
19,275 Posts
I have a 1984 k20 6.2 looking to buy a exhaust for it. what would be a good exhaust? I need a complete system from manifold back.
If you do a forum search a few threads will pop up like this example:
(y)

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,885 Posts
Rockauto is where I have gotten what I needed.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rockauto is where I have gotten what I needed.
I'm looking into a 3 inch dual exhaust. If I go that route do I need to modify anything else? Is there a down fall using a bigger exhaust ( running hotter)? Also who sells a 3 inch dual exhaust?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,885 Posts
I'm looking into a 3 inch dual exhaust. If I go that route do I need to modify anything else? Is there a down fall using a bigger exhaust ( running hotter)? Also who sells a 3 inch dual exhaust?
You would have to custom build a 3", Rockauto only has the stock size, 2.5" I think

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If it's NA, why up the exhaust size? You're not really going to gain anything. Your best option in my opinion is run factory or go down to the exhaust shop and have them install a 2.5" exhaust.

Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you just want it to sound a bit louder and a bit better performance heartbeat do an exhaust (glass pack or normal offset mufflers) at a cheap price.lmc truck retail it(other suppliers are available.....).
With so many decent muffler custom shops , you can choose what u like, stainless etc, but as you said not much off the shelf catering for us in the aftermarket yet.
I used some offset mustang magnaflow stainless mufflers and made up pipe (only cause the shipping was more than the exhaust...).
Bear in mind unless you have 2 of the straight through type per side it will be LOUD.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Heartbeat exhausts are a decent price and probably what lmc supply.
You get a choice of glass pack or quieter more restrictive turbo style.
I personally don't thing these engines are incredibly loud even with straighthro pipes. But I'm deaf and personal preference varies loads for different folks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The 2.5" inch offset magnaflow stainless mufflers turned out to be hardly more noisy than the o.e. GM mufflers (They could still get louder, and may still do, I wouldnt mind at all). If you cut the GM ones open you will see various complicated odd tubes and chambers. Then a smaller exit. No help to flow or power. But did last a long time for steel.
If magnaflow had made them with the same offset the job would be so much easier.
I was thinking with just one per bank, the paint tins would rattle off the shelves, and two more and crossover pipe would probably be needed. As long as they last a long time and can hear the radio still...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts