Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 Scottsdale 6.2l been sitting for about 14 yrs. Just put new batteries and a new glow plug relay in. Getting no power when I turn the key. Interior lights and head lights work but nothing else. Any ideas also how do I get to the starter to check the connections there.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
Auto or standard trans?
Does the fuse block in the cab have any power?

Also check this thread from a few days ago.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
Any power on the S terminal wire upon the starter?Unless you have some sort of fusible link issue or problem with the neutral safety switch under the steering column.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Fusible link from the starter is my first thought. It does weird stuff when it blows. It's the small one coming off the starter that isn't purple.

Second thought is the neutral safety switch under the dash is bum. You're getting power, but no crank right? 12v going to starter (purple wire) when you turn to start?

Time to get your multimeter and a wiring diagram out and start checking things.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Sounds like you're getting cab power possibly. Back to my point of find the wiring diagram for the truck and start tracing it down with a multimeter. Possible fusible link from the starter to the cab that's bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you have not fixed by now, check your battery cable grounds at engine. most accessories can operate thru small ground wire at right battery negative cable. positive cable lead goes from left battery across to right battery then directly to starter, from here double fusible links supply power to everything, these are relatively easy to see, orange/pink wires with the large white plastic unions (probably insulation has shrunk back to where you can see and probe for power). ignition switch on top side of steering column directs power to park/nuetral safety switch then to starter solenoid. if your dash lights, gages and glow plug lamp do not come on when you turn key, then the easy place to start is at those exposed fusible links, then see if you you can reach up and check connection at ignition switch. accessing any connection on starter solenoid is really tough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts