Diesel Place banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Ya those are Bosch duraterms ... gtg.

I would definitely pull the injector from the cylinder with the broken gp before you try and fire it again and I hope you remember which one it was.

your fighting air in the fuel system since you had it open.

Go get some Pam or wd 40 ...

Unplug the green wire of the IP, crack each injector loose 1/2 a turn, pull all the gp’s, crank in 15 second intervals, 1 min off ... till you see a lil weep of fuel at the injectors, tighten the lines, crank again till you see a fog of fuel out of the gp holes, re install the gp’s, spray each side of the intake with Pam or wd 40, plug the green wire back into the IP ... cycle the gp’s .... crank ...

it’ll fire .... run like a hairy dog ... but it will start. You may have to re spray the intake if it stalls cause your still purging air.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Ohh and since we now know you have self limiting gp’s, you can leave them on while you crank, this is something you should not do with non self limiting ones.

This really helps with cold starts cause the fuel is being sprayed across a red hot gp.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I usually don't crack the injector lines when priming. I remove the glow plugs though and crank until a diesel mist comes out. Glow plugs back in, light em up, crank, give it some fuel as it stumbles though the last little air and off we go!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
1.new primary and secondary fuel filters. check
2.manual glow plug relay. check
3.new lift pump and a few new fuel soft lines. check.

i'm still not getting fuel from the injector pump. i checked out on the oregonfuelinjection.com website they have a standadyne troubleshooting page and it suggests that if there is dilution of fuel in oil (alot of fuel) that it is the pump drive shaft seals that were rolled over during installation. the link to this page is.

https://oregonfuelinjection.com/content/uploads/2016/08/stanadyne-pump-diagnostic-troubleshooting.pdf

i know the new lift pump is working because i cracked a line at the secondary fuel filter and got fuel to come out. i'm pretty sure injection pump replacement is necessary at this point but i dont know.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
That rolled seal thing is not the lift pump, that is a IP thing they are talking about. It’s the main shaft seal when it’s put back into the IP.

I’m not gona rule out that IP needs a replacement at this time but at the same time, you did have it running.

coupla questions for you, did you find that piece of the gp?
Did the engine ever cough on wd 40 or Pam?

Do you have any fuel coming out the return line?

Maybe split that line off into a separate container and see if you get any out.

Do you have access to an air compressor and a very low pressure regulator? I’m taking 8ish psi low ....

If you have an extra spritzer bottle around you could put diesel in it and spritz’s fuel into the intake WHILE cranking ... I don’t like doing this cause it takes very little fuel for these engines to run... so if you have sprayed too much it WILL run away till it burns off that fuel & only choking it out will stop it!!

I still think it’s an air in IP issue

we can walk you through an IP replacement also as it’s not that hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i never actually got the truck to run. i took the glow plugs out and had a buddy come over and crank it in 15 second intervals and the only cylinder to get fuel to come out of the glow plug hole was #7(did this 5 times) i even manually connected the solenoid on the injection pump to my battery and still didnt get any fuel out. i did take the top off of the injection pump at one point to check the solenoids, do you think i might have put it back on wrong? i took the return line off when i did that and cranked it over and barely any fuel came out of the return line of the injection pump. at this point i'm thinking that the whole pump needs to be replaced as that would be the easiest thing to do, and while thats getting replaced get new injectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
and about the glow plugs, every single glow plug i pulled out of the engine looked exactly the same. i think its from years of being started with ether because when i got the truck from the owner i looked behind the seat and found two bottles of starting fluid in there. they didnt look broken on the ends it looks like it melted.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Ohhhhfff ... ya gata love the ... grab the ether boy.., this things gona start ... instead of actually fixing it .... SBYL

Well you got fuel outa 1 cylinder so the IP is working cause these work like an 8 shot pistol ... if 1 works all will work.

Other IP’s are like 8, 7.3’s not plugged in at -20 ... some fire, some won’t... others stutter ..
I guarantee it’s still air in the system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
problem solved! i put a new injection pump in and she fired right up. now the oil baffle is leaking a fair amount of oil.a good mechanic friend of mine said to soak it in some fuel and clean it out. what do you recommend?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Great to hear !!

now what’s this oil baffle you speak of ...??

Maybe the CDR? The tuna can looking thing in the valve cover...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
there is a good amount of oil going into the intake, which could have been the cause of the motor running away on the previous owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Yup, that’s the CDR.

A casual oil film is very normal for that system as that’s blow by being feed back into the engine to be burned off.

please do not delete that or you’ll have massive oil leaks

21 - 32 of 32 Posts