Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 1981 chevy 3/4ton 4x4 6.2l & th400 tranny. They guy wants $2900 for it and has about 130,000 miles. There is a little rust but nothing im worried about. I know very little about the 6.2 but liked what I heard. I want a truck that gets fairly good mpgs but its not a every day driver. I would like something reliable but dont I dont need alot of power. I would like to make it run on veggie oil which is why I would like a diesel instead of a gasser. I really like these older chevys, my dad always had them but in gas. I know where ther is some scrap steel so I think I can pay for most of this truck if I uses it to gather it up. So my question is was the '81 6.2 a good engine? Or should I try to find a different truck? What was the best year the 6.2 was made?

Thanks for everyones help on this.:ro)

·
Registered
89 Posts
If i'm not mistaken the first year for the 6.2 was 82,so if that is the case the engine is not original to the truck. But I have been known to be wrong before. The first blocks of the 6.2 are very strong due to the high amounts of nickel in the block. They are painted red. The others that are good are the 599 blocks which were 6.5s but only bored out to 6.2s. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helps alot but from what I can tell it is original and red, its regesterd a '81 even I thought 1982 was the first year. The truck has all the emblems and looks all factory so I dont think the gasser was replaced with it. I will look into it some more next week, I plan to take it for spin.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
82 was the first model year of the 6.2, maybe the one you are looking at is early production. 82's had a lot of desireable features that were later removed for cost purposes. They had better fan clutches, engine oil cooler lines and few other small details. They had poorer 700r4 transmissions, head gaskets, and cylinder heads. Parts are interchangeable on all years of 6.2's and most 6.5's with minor differences. 82's were the only year to use coarse threaded injectors. Check the engine for blow by while it is running by removing the oil filler cap, very little blow by indicates a very tight engine. 82's also were suseptible to poor injection pumps, but it has probably been changed:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Veggie

I've got an '82 dually crew cab that I picked up recently. I'm planning on running vegetable oil too. That's the primary reason I bought it...to teach myself about VO conversions. I blew a head gasket so I'm in the slow, slow process of trying to fix it while working 3 jobs and being a dad/husband :eek: I'll work on the conversion while I put it back together.

I bought this truck because I thought it was a good deal and I was having a hard time finding a diesel for cheap. If I had my 'druthers, I'd have picked up a ford or a dodge diesel because I believe they are more friendly for running veggie oil, from my limited "research" (limited to reading experiences of others over the internet).

Suffice it to say, the Stanadyne Injector pump on the GMs is not the best candidate for VO...however many are doing it successfully, and I will be doing my best as well. I think the key is to make sure you have very high quality oil (get all the water out) and make sure it's hot...looks like 120 F may be dangerous...need more like 150+ F.

Check out http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums for lots of helpful folks and many with experience with your exact conversion.

Feel free to contact me if you get it and have any questions.

BTW...to me, that price seems a little on the steep side, given the rust...but I'm a cheap greasemonkey.

HTH,
Clem

·
Registered
63 Posts
did that 5.7L diesel come in '81 trucks?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I read it was around '83 I think and it didnt last long. I was told it was a good engine made for good mpg's. But most idiots that had them thought it was a big powerful engine and hot rodded the thing. I never had one but heard parts are hard to find too.

Im not sure I want one either.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it was only in the half ton, anyway. I'll reserve my comments on that engine.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it was a few 1/2ton and jimmys and blazers, caddys and oldsmoblows.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,241 Posts
The 5.7L diesel came in 1981 pickups,but only in 1/2 ton versions.I have two of them,and they've yet to fail me on the highway.I find them very reliable.The injection pumps on 1982 6.2 engines were okay,except for the governor flex ring that flakes off inside the pump.These are very easy to fix.The new version of the governor cage came out in 1986,but these too give trouble from time to time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts