Diesel Place banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure it would. Just looking at the engine with a human reference next to one... not really that much larger than the 6.x. they share alot of comparative elements. Like tiny main journal bearings. Lol

They weren't the best cat engine, but byfar not the worst either.

They remind me of what a 6.x could have been if it were based on a big block. :hehe:

·
That's what she said....
698 Posts
What's keeping you from putting a LML in there?

·
Registered
225 Posts
My Vote would be LML with Allison, put Air Ride Suspension in the rear.

Make this a sweet build!

·
That's what she said....
698 Posts
My Vote would be LML with Allison, put Air Ride Suspension in the rear.

Make this a sweet build!
Mine too!
Abundance of parts and knowledge. You know it's reliable, and you can tune it to your liking.
You won't have your jakes but you can still have the turbo braking feature if you keep the VGT.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
It's just too small, too little power output.

Dont get me wrong, I love the lml. Great engine. Efficent. Powerful for its size. But I need a line hauler engine in it. Something with some serious @$$ behind it.

Stopping weight is no fun on air brakes alone. Doable but no fun. A vgt and exhaust brake just wont cut it. Not at these weights. A cummins and duramax just wont stand up to 40k for very long either. They can do it... ni doubt... and its impressive. But getting beat like that... for the $$$... not working. I'd need to mod them to get what I want. I'd rather have commercial line engine that puts out the same power as those would highly modded.

Pretty much settled on either cat, ih, dd... MAYBE a larger Cummins... I'd go for the commercial 8 liter dmax but its electric. I'm not a fan of Cummins. Good engines dont get me wrong... its just... they're everywhere. Everyone has them. Cummins this. Cummins that. I can think of several engines that far outmatch them in their class. And the Cummins hype... just meh. I like to go against the typical popular flow. Since everyone has a cummins... that's going to be off the table permanently. Just to be different.

I'm most definitely made up on the ef transmission. I'm use to them. Far superior. Cheaper. Unsynchronized. And... I hate automatics. Not happening.

And whatever ends up in this thing... it's going to be fully mechanical. Want something that dosent rely on electrical other than a shutoff solenoid.

:thumb: thanks for the suggestions though.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts