Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, something I've always wanted is comming to fruition. FINALLY.

I present to you...

The mid 70s c60. The only thing (in my opinion) that came out of the 70s looking damn good.

No motor. Don't want what they came with. 454. Tentatively it's getting my 6.5 599 block project motor or an LML.

I'm taking powerplant suggestions here...
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/374-frankenstein/967788-fuel-mileage-vs-power-production-ft-lbs.html#post9729210

Currently it has what seems to be an sm465. Has a split shift 30k differential, air brakes and the leaf springs to bout. Essentially an 8 speed.

The dump bed stays there. I don't want it, don't need it so it stays.

Going to go pick her up next week. I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures through the duration of this build.

Taking suggestions... color? Bed type (if any) will have a 5th wheel... air ride? I'm keeping the air brakes. Better for heavy hauling.

And I do have the hood. Was removed for bay inspection.

Attachments

Reactions: 6.5 NOVA

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Boy. Yesterday was a JOB!

I left at about 6:30 am, I didn't get back until around 8:30 pm. It was 120 miles (round trip total) twisting and winding through backwoods mountain highways. I was scooting on the way there but took my time on the way back. The load could be considered "top heavy". Top heavy and mountain highway roads don't mix.

The most difficult and interesting part of the day was removing the dump bed. I had to cut two welded bands and some shabby frame work at the rear (I'll take piks of that later today), disconnect the pto linkage and cut the pto shaft. I didn't feel like messing about underneath it any more than I had to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rest was a cakewalk. Loading was just like any other load...

Unloading, pressure washing and cleaning today. Getting it ready for storage for the time being.

Attachments

Reactions: 97chevor

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unloaded yesterday.

Had a huge storm come through that rained me out (makeshift tractor awning fixed that) and had a few trees blow over and block the driveway. After cutting up the trees I finally towed the truck to the shop. :helmet:

The tree pictured fell right where the c60 WAS sitting right before the storm!!!

Today... pressure wash. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been raining since Wednesday (on and off) and it's going to rain all day today.

...not going to stop me :hehe:

...cleaning continues... life goes on and on :hehe:

Attachments

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... and some more to be done...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... work platform... :) :hehe:

To be honest this thing is great!

No jacks needed to get up under it...

Everything is visible, nothing in the way. No huge cab or body bed blocking me (I hate body beds, flat bed guy really)

It's a simple setup and design.

:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
... some "before and after" but far from done... :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cool truck. Looks like the drivers door has been replaced. It has holes for the larger door panel like my '78 c-10 had.

There's a kid in town with one similar. He has a dually pickup bed. Maybe his has a shortened frame? Looks cool as hell.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You are correct about the driver door, I think the gvrw is higher than 7300lbs :hehe:

Good eye wh20crazy!

The door appears to be from an 87 or an 83. I can't tell.

These trucks came in a wheelbase as short as 125 in (10.41 ft).

I personally wouldn't want it any shorter than mine is already which is roughly 13 feet from wheel to wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last "before and after" for the rear chassis and differential. In the words of jack sparrow "much more bettah!"

Some rust, but surprisingly not as much as anticipated. Most of the chassis paint is still good and intact.

I removed the flat stock spacers used for the dump frame.

The differential cleaned up very nicely! I'm kinda suprised at how well it shined up!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Some were mighty short for their height. Don't throw it in the corners too hard. Lol

Reactions: jnlperformance

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chassis Report

I have plenty to cut and grind off;

1.)The two front bands that held the dump bed on (45 deg. angle 4" x .25 flat stock)

2.)Some random stuff adjacent to the front dump bed bands

3.)Tail light mounts (total crap!!!)

4.)Center hydraulic square bar stock support

5.)The horribly welded custom rear frame hitch thing. Snapped welds. It's in BAD SHAPE and has to go!

6.)The exhaust!

7.)The franken-farmer u-joint-ery PTO connection that consists of about 10 u-joints! :hehe:

8.)The franken-farmer specialized "bent" rebar PTO controller connection.

Some of the most ridiculous stuff I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, it got the job done I'm sure BUT... quality is crap and some of the WORST welds I've ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The crap rear bumper hitch "thing"...

Anyone want a pintle hitch??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cab Report

Pretty standard.

Spots here and there. Thankfully the spots aren't bad.

The common floor pan to door jam connections are done. Of course. Expected.

Front and rear glass has to come out before blasting.

The rear glass has some indicators of some minor cancer issues. Front glass actually seems ok, surprising because it's common for issues to arise at the cab roof to window frame pillar connection.

I'll be taking the dash carrier assembly apart today (hopefully) and we shall see what is hidden 'neath the mess...

Sofar so good though. I'll definitely be using the bead roller and english wheel on this project!

I'll also be welding the driver door panel mounts shut and flush like they were never there (as noted ^^^^ up there somewhere)

Standard door handle inner panel reinforcement as usual for these 87 and prior gm doors.

Usually the door mounts are cracked too. At the bottom mounts inbetween the mounting holes there's usually a hairline crack. I'll be suprised if it's not present. We shall see.

The door latch pin on the cab. Likely needs reinforcement. Common crack area as well. Again, we shall see.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I'll be disassembling the remainder of what's left in the cab and engine bay.

Removing the remainder of the wiring harness and pretty much everything except;

The steering system, brake system, transmission and drivetrain will all remain for the time being.

Taking care of the unnecessary items on the chassis. Spark city!!

·
Administrator
16,649 Posts
Nice progress. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Bay Report

Nothing out of the norm.

It's an empty bay now (exempting the brakes, I need those for now!!)

Suprised to see none of the panels are rusted through. I suppose it's more common on the smaller 10-30 (s) 1500-3500(s) due to their ride height.

My only concern in the bay is the bottom of the radiator / center support. Nice and yummy soup there. I guess it's a lemon because there is no drain hole present; allowing water to pool up since 76! :hehe:

Ready to pressure wash!

Questions / Opinions; what are we gonna fit in this thing guys!? I've got about 36-40 inches to work with in length. I may need to come up with a solution to add some length to it. Still pondering this....:confuzeld The bay is taller and wider than it is long....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Up next!!

Get this disassembled, then I get to start washing (again) :thumb:

Any opinions on what I should do with the dash carrier?

I removed the cover and the gauge panel / cluster on the d10. Made a custom cluster. I do like the bare metal underneath the cover.

One thing that will be getting replaced is the steering column. I guess the commercial series trucks of the era did not have a locking column. The ignition key is in the dash panel. I like that, but I'm not a fan of a non-locking column.

Attachments

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*Some* of the Chassis Repairs

I managed to remove "The bumper thing-a-ma-jig".

I also cut the exhaust and 8ft rebar PTO controller.

I'll still need to cut and grind off the bands, some random pieces of metal and tail light mounts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts