Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a freind convert his 1976 Chevy Subarban to a Diesel.
I have a 6.2L Diesel out of a CUCV. The Burb has a 454 Big Block in it.

What parts do I need to Make the Conversion work right?
Will the Engine from the CUCV fit into the 2WD?
Will I have to change the Motor Mounts?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is it a 2wd? My wife's old 4wd '90 Suburban had plenty of room underneath - my '91 2wd C1500 did not - I had to put a civilian oil pickup and oil pan in place to get the engine in place.

You'll want a 12v fuel shutoff solenoid. An air cleaner will need to be fitted. Check the oil filter - mine touched the frame when the engine went it - I would not be able to change the filter without lifting the engine - I went for a relocation kit. Remove the military headers when installing the engine - they fit, but they make installation a tight fit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
91 C1500 pickup is considerably different from a '76 Suburban; if anything, the engine compartment is bigger on the 73-80 models than the 81-91's -

·
Registered
310 Posts
91 C1500 pickup is considerably different from a '76 Suburban; if anything, the engine compartment is bigger on the 73-80 models than the 81-91's -
After stuffing the engine in, there's ton's of room around it. The suspension components are in the way of the oil pan. I don't know if the earlier model Suburban will have the same problem - so I cannot answer his question.

If you do get the question answered and it turns out to be "Yes", hit Rock Auto for your oil pickup. It's a press on fitting, so you might as well replace the oil pump as well. eBay often has oil pans for sale at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks. I would like for it all to go in well the first time, So I think that I am going to buy the pan and pickup.

What about fuel Return Lines?
What about the Motor Mounts? (well the ones off the 454 work)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm going to be parting a 2WD 6.2 truck in the near future, I should be picking it up Wednesday or Thursday, motor is junk. Probably could talk me into tearing the whole front end off to pull the motor and trans as a unit so the oil pan could come off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ok, thanks. I would like for it all to go in well the first time, So I think that I am going to buy the pan and pickup.

What about fuel Return Lines?
What about the Motor Mounts? (well the ones off the 454 work)
The motor mounts are all the same - just make sure they are in good shape and you are done with that part of the swap. Fuel return - I'm guessing the old engine had a carburetor on it - so probably no return line. You may have to add one. I'd suggest replacing any rubber fuel hoses with something that can handle alcohol as well - odds are you are going to get some biodiesel at some point in the near future and regular rubber lines won't hold up well. I'm not sure I'd trust 30 year old fuel lines anyway. I've had some 12 years old that old rotted out and sprung a leak while I was driving. I figured out what the problem was before a fire started - but it's best to skip the experience.

Check the under-engine space first - it was a pain to find the pan, pump and pickup - then get the pump and pickup pressed in. It would have been very nice to keep the stock pan if possible - it holds an extra ~ 3 quarts. That suspension cross member gets in the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, Thanks. I was thinking about changing out the fuel lines anyways.
So the Return line Goes FROM the Engine to The TANK?

Is there a way that I can measure to see if it will fit with the Stock Oil Pan?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
anyone down his way that has a old oil pan i would ship him one but postage would be costly. anyone closer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PONTIAC59- I have to ask my friend how much he wants to spend on a Oil Pan.

Earl87gta-I am from Lafayette LA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts