Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
So has anyone tried 19.5 singles on a van?
You thinking of going this route? My only concerns would be ride quality or lack of, and the weight of them causing excessive front end wear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the tires I was going to mount on the 18s are not E rated so I found out, Top Lux cars use skinny tires, not sure why it would affect ride, you want a ****ty ride to try my 2016 express 3500 short wheelbase passenger van, my Ram diesel 2500 is smooth compared to it, and It has 20s vs 16s, I bought a C4500 2008 minibus, put 6 new 265/70/19.5s on it, was going to use as my tow vehicle for toy hauler, Wife says I'm not driving THAT:wtf:
So that is why I got the 2008 express, so I have 6 brand new 265/70/19.5s:rolleyes: can buy single 19.5 wheels for $185. Summit racing.
The problem there is the diameter, but then again my rear is not a locker, so I was going to upgrade that, changing the ratio is not a big problem, hitting rubbing is, just what are the interference problems? I'm used to running 14 ply tires on trailers to trucks, this is going to pull an RV far away from home, don't need anything happening in the boonies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still fighting the urge for the 225/70 19.5s they are 32in tall so it's close, my worry is about traction, I can lower the rear tire pressure for traction if I get stuck, but with a small sidewall not sure how well they will respond, I'll have an air compressor and tank on board, the kind the low riders use, have one in stock, always nice to have air for the rear airbags and general purpose, in the old days those big cement trucks had 6x6 now many just lower rear tire pressure for traction, lot cheaper truck.
My justification is the much longer tread wear and durability, higher fuel mileage and a lot less sidewall roll in high winds, cornering.
Should I see a Shrink?
This old van is really clean, I'm 65 and I see another 200,000 miles for this baby unless Tesla comes out with a real truck:huh:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I have been running 10 ply 245/75/16 tires for nearly 450,000 miles with zero issues. I easily average 70,000 miles a set.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Still fighting the urge for the 225/70 19.5s they are 32in tall so it's close, my worry is about traction, I can lower the rear tire pressure for traction if I get stuck, but with a small sidewall not sure how well they will respond, I'll have an air compressor and tank on board, the kind the low riders use, have one in stock, always nice to have air for the rear airbags and general purpose, in the old days those big cement trucks had 6x6 now many just lower rear tire pressure for traction, lot cheaper truck.
My justification is the much longer tread wear and durability, higher fuel mileage and a lot less sidewall roll in high winds, cornering.
Should I see a Shrink?
This old van is really clean, I'm 65 and I see another 200,000 miles for this baby unless Tesla comes out with a real truck:huh:
The 19.5’s are heavy so it will hurt milage more than help it, they will last longer no question though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The weight depends on type steel/aluminum, Rickson wheels are heavy, was looking at Vision HD 81, Boar aluminum, plan on pulling a 26' toy hauler trailer.
Weight is not a concern, very close with the right combo, everything I read better fuel mileage. I've had a dually bucket truck for 20 years and yes those big rims are heavy and strong and being a dually with a 36ft lift it's pretty good off-road, I don't plan on using it as a tow vehicle for another 18 months, getting ready for retirement. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bad A$$ wheels, said 0 offset so the wheel tire will stick out a little, just like my 09 pick up. the weigh 38 lbs, sounds light, but it's rated a 6,050 lbs at 125 psi, strong.

Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good

boarwheel.com/cruiser-67-aluminum-alloy-wheel-19-5x6-75/Cruise 67 Aluminum Alloy Wheel 19.5x6.75 - Boar Wheel

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh hell, my commercial tire guy says I can mount a 225/70r19.5 on a 7.5 rim and the recommended is 6.75 ?? if that true I have to buy the boar wheels, research. :wtf:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve been running the 265/70 19.5’s on my 06 duramax 4wd van for a few years and I love them. I run way lower pressure then people seem to think is okay and have had zero problems and they ride great. 46 in front and 38 out back. Did 75k on my last set. Bump up the psi if towing of coarse. If I drive decent I do 19-20 mpg, bone stock motor and trans. 3:73s.......

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I’ve been running the 265/70 19.5’s on my 06 duramax 4wd van for a few years and I love them. I run way lower pressure then people seem to think is okay and have had zero problems and they ride great. 46 in front and 38 out back. Did 75k on my last set. Bump up the psi if towing of coarse. If I drive decent I do 19-20 mpg, bone stock motor and trans. 3:73s.......
I’d think you would get more miles than that out of them than that. What tire do you run?

·
Registered
4 Posts
They still had fair amount of life left but was coming in to winter and I tow an enclosed back and fourth over the passes in OR every week.... def could have done another 15k or so in the summer. Did around 100k on a set of 285’s before I got the 265’s

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ended up with 18" factory Ram wheels,

Found a new old set of Michelin Defender for 1/2 price, $175.00 the spedo is 1 MPH higher gps, I'm very happy, I can driver through deep puddles no pull.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts