Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Chevy 2500 HD extended cab 4x4 shortbed D/A with the intent to pull a 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel. I did this after months of listening on the rv.net forum. My concern is pin weight however. I thought I’d change to 265 tires, however after reading some postings on this and other forums, it looks like 19.5 inch tires are a better solution. I just have a few questions. It appears the axle is rated at 10,912 pounds. That means to hold that much weight, the tires would need to hold 5456 each. With the addition of progressive leaf spring helpers I should be able to hold more than the 6084 pounds the truck is rated for. However many people caution than you also need stability (i.e. dual wheels). Here are my questions:

1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Are 19.5 inch tires more stable (than 16inch wheels)? Compared to duals?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Would 19.5 inch tires change the torque/pulling power? How?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Would they change the acceleration? How?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">How about fuel mileage?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Would they change breaking power/time? How?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Any change in the ride?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Will they fit on the Silverado without modification (other than new rims)?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Can helper springs be used with Velvet Ride shackles?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Should the shocks be changed as well? Suggestions?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Suggestions for tire brands?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Anything else I should be asking or concerned with?</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Any other suggestions?</LI>
<FONT face="T

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
gtomlins said:
Would they change breaking power/time? How?

This particular question is the one most overlooked when folks start talking about how much their truck can haul.

First the braking characteristics of the ABS are designed with a certain outside diameter of the wheel/tire combo in mind. I believe that previous posts by some of the techs has indicated the Tech II can reprogram for up to one size larger IIRC.

The other point is that the primary factor in determining load capacities is the brakes. You can haul more than the truck is rated for, but will it stop in a hurry if you need it to?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts