Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a little run for the long weekend to the Moab area. It was great. Did Arches, Canyonlands (north and south), Natural Bridges.

Mileage numbers were pretty impressive too. First tank, from Southern Ca to Cedar city, UT. One night. Cruise set at 85 or so for most of the way. 19.5 mpg.

Next tank was through the backroads and mountain passes. Saw some snow. Slower, probably averaged 70. 21.75 mpg. This was from Cedar city to Moab via Hanksville and Capitol Reef.

Next tank was a lot of start stop in the park driving. Dinking around pretty slowly. Managed to take a 20 mile 4x4 road through the deepest soft sand Ive ever seen. Thought I had some pretty bad scratches from bushes, but they all came out with a wax. Nearly got stuck several times. Axle hop galore. This is what the pics are of. Right around 19.75 mpg...Suprising.

Last tank was again doing about 80-85 back to CA. Right at 20 mpg.

All numbers were hand figured. Tires at 55 PSI, even in the sand... Power service at every tank, CAT, tailgate up, mountain bikes in back, temps around 60* for most of the trip. Saw a high of 95 at the CA state line on I40.

She didnt stumble once.

Cheapest diesel was 1.74 in Kingman, AZ. Everywhere else was at least 1.80.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/p6e6d6fc4bebb04f7f26bd9c4de6b2291/f92a7f13.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/pd37e978773a191e345622ab673564a86/f92a7f10.jpg

No guarantees with the pics...

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The links don't work. You should try uploading them here.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

I was not aware that uploading them to this server or whatever is an option...How is this done?!!?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When you do a post or edit, the toolbar on the top of the area where you type in your response has icons all along it.

Second from the right, a pic of a tree and an up arrow. Hit that and find your pic on your machine and presto!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If your using a Web picture hosting site you need to log out and post the links ....

Mac

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man,I don't know what I do wrong.I have NEVER gotten over 18.5 mpg with either truck.I can set my cruise on 70mpg which takes me out of the mix & its still the same.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks!

I should add that I was running a custom tune (~40 horse) from Diablo sport...

Right behind the second pic, there is an Indian ruin. Very neat road. At the end, there were two arches about 1/2 mile hike into the canyons. Went all day, and didnt see anyone!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great pics,manny you need to invest in a winch if you do that much,I would hate if you had to dig that big truck out of the sand....wouldn't be nice. That would be the time where the winch would be WELL worth the money... Glad you made it.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A winch would not have been much good out there. No other vehicles and nothing to hook it to. Would be nice though.

It would have been a class A ***** to get that thing unstuck. I came close 3 times. The worst being after that pic. I went to take off in granny gear in 4 hi, and it nearly stalled. Sank about 4 inches before making any forward progress.

Ive got some more pics coming from a real camera. They are pretty gnarly. Places crew cabs were never intended to go...Rock climbing.

Dipped the frame/rails a few times...

I was suprised. 20 miles of that sand, and I still got 19 mpg and change!

·
Registered
625 Posts
mannytranny, here's what ya need with a wich and nowhere to hook up to. I've used it in Baja beaches and DEEP in the desert .

I remember before I got this I got stuck ia a wash ( a dry river) and there was this lonely tree to winch to , so I got all hookd up and yanked ...and pulled the tree right out of the ground.

I started digging for the next 4 hours, got home and bought this thing.

http://www.pullpal.com/bagmaster.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
Kendall will the pull pal be big enough to pull our crews out? Seems alittle small,have you had to use yours yet?

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be a test for that thing for sure.

Ive been stuck in the sane before, and it seemed like no amount of digging would ever get me out. This was in a Suzuki sidekick. I dont think that it is even possible to dig out a 3/4 ton truck...

I nearly found out...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts