Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride is a two tank WVO 95 2500 Suburban. The PO put in the HO water pump and 97 two thermostat housing. He also added the 180 thermostats. Question is what are the advantages of the 180 t-stats? I'd think it would run more efficiently at 195. I don't tow and really just use it as a big car for hauling groceries, 4x8 plywood and stuff in the back. It also pulls a small flatbed for runs to the town dumps, but again, nothing heavy. Should I put in 195 t-stats again? Any suggestions? Other WVO users? Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You will be fine with 195s, and you should see a MILD boost in MPGs, also if you WVO is heated by coolant as most systems are, you want that fuel as hot as possible, and those extra 15 degrees will help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It will give you better fuel mileage, but since you're running veggie that really doesn't matter. I put the lower temp 'stats in mine since I live in FL where it's hot as hell most of the time...that way if I have a coolant related problem, I still have a little time to notice before it's WAY too hot. If it starts at 195, it's already close to too hot if you ask me. Also, if it runs cooler it should last longer.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had the 195's for a while, then switched to the 180 as it's burning hot here in the summer. Got a little better milage with the 195, but not much. With the 180's i've got more margin in the summer heat with the A/C on. :D
Don

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For trips of 200 or 300 miles, MPG doesn't matter on WVO, but I'm planning a 1500 mile trip to texas and back. The better my MPG, the less Plant fuel I need to bring with me. Would anyone make a guess as to mileage increase going to the 195s. If it might be better than 1 per gallon, I'd consider it. At 1500 miles wouldn't that be 10 gallons of fuel? ....... or another way to think of it.... $45 ....... nevermind. $45 on one trip if I have to buy some diesel, or switch out thermostats, replace coolant, etc. Thanks. I think that about answers the question. I should stick with the 180s that are in there.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Stay with what is there for now, or as you already figured out, the cost to swap, vs savings isnèt worth it (You're usin WVO so quit bitchin) :D

I stayed with 195 stats, because A) I live in canada, winter is cold, and I like heat. B) There were already there, and C) I have no problems running hot in the summer.

My guess is that milage gains would be so small, you wouldn't even notice it, you get better results with a brick behind the accelerator IMO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree that the mileage difference probably isn't a big factor either way. Where I disagree is what North Maine said, you are heating your oil with coolant, and heat transfer with 195 degree coolant will be much better than with 180 degree coolant. Unless you have any overheating problems in New Mexico, I'd change them out to the 195's.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
You think 15 degrees will change the viscosity enough to warrent changing from 180 to 195 stats?

I don't use WVO, so I'm playin devil's advocate.

I thought the whole point was to keep it in a runny state rather then tryin to flow molases through your fuel system, therefore I don't see how 15 degrees will change much.

And it's not like stats that open 15 degrees hotter make the engine warm up faster, so.. again, I ask... What difference will 15 degrees make to WVO?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's how I look at it. I agree, the engine doesn't warm up faster, that's not important, you want the engine all the way up to temp before switching to wvo. What I know is that if you are heating something up through a heat exchanger, the temp difference is the factor on how quickly you heat. So, if you pump 180 degree coolant through the exchanger with the hope of getting the wvo up to 170 degrees or so, getting it up those last degrees takes a longer time. If you use 195 degree coolant to bring it up to 170 degrees, you have a larger temp difference and the exchanger does its work faster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please don't think I was bitchin at all. My thought was that $45 (if I had to buy some fuel for a 1500 mile trip) was nothing. Cost isn't an issue for the t-stats, as I already have them (195s). I have my 26 plate HE right before the IP. I installed an electrical low temp gauge (100 to 240) 3 inches before the IP, so I can watch the temperature fairly accurately rise up to temp before switching to WVO. It EASILY hits 170 or better and stays there. If that is as hot as I need, I'll probably keep it as is. If getting the WVO to over 180 is better, than I'll change them. Cost is zero (I have the parts already) and it is easy to get to. Thoughts Dave (or anyone else please)?

·
Registered
295 Posts
First, can you give me more detail about that temp gauge, I need to install one? I'd like to install it in the same place, but here's a question. If it is that close to the IP, are you running diesel through that same line? If not, when on diesel isn't there no flow through the wvo line, so you can't really check temp until you start the wvo flow? Maybe I'm just not thinking clearly about it.

As to whether 180 degree oil is better than 170, I've had a lot of discussions on that, and have found that some pretty smart people disagree. Here's my opinion - I think 180 is better than 170, anything that insures you deliver hot, low viscosity oil to the IP and injectors is safer for the engine.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
what about putting one 180 and and one 195 in. i assume that a 180 will open enough to cool the engine when unloaded and when you are towing the 195 will open when needed. Ed

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i have a setup on mine with 1 180° robert Shaw and 1 190° ACDelco.
Very happy with it :D

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Please don't think I was bitchin at all.
I was just poking fun at the fact that you run WVO, seeing as how us runnin diesel are tryin to get the best MPG, I was teasing, sorry if you took it personal.

Good thread though, my question would never have been answered.

If/when I need to replace stats, I'll go the one and one route like Matuva, because by then I'll need one that opens sooner, right now the truck isn't worked that hard.

I spoil it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't take offense to easily. Just pokin back at ya :D.
Yes, I run both fuels through the heat exchanger. By the time the diesel is hot and not a good lubricant, I switch to oil. When I start the engine cold, the diesel is also cold going through the heat exchanger (no heat yet). As the engine warms up (and the coolant) the diesel (and therefore the IP) heat up with it. That way when I do switch to WVO, there is no thermal shock to the system, only different fuel. I want to install an electric valve to shut off coolant to the HE for any time I may need to run a while on diesel only. I currently have a ball valve, but that requires me to open the hood (Can I be any lazier?!?!?) My thinking is that by avoiding the sudden shock of warm diesel suddenly switching to HOT WVO could put additional strain or wear on the IP. After all, this is really just one big experiment. As so few of us are running WVO as fuel (compared to the overall number of diesels out there) there are some knowns.... WVO must be clean and dewatered, it must be hot.... etc. But the specifics of how hot, should I use line heaters, how well filtered does the oil need to be ect..... are still somewhat up for debate. I always feel that there is someone out there that can teach me more and maybe (dare I say it...) even change my perspective. The idea of running one 180 and one 195 might be good for guys running fossil fuel, I would think that for WVO, either one or the other would be best for fuel viscosity.
OK, now throw your thoughts at me and make me think:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave,
You asked about the gauge I'm using. I found this
http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/5034.cfm
On ebay about 2 months ago. It took me a while to find a temperature gauge that registered low enough. Most start at about 160. One of the things I really liked about this one was the sensor. It has two leads. One to the gauge as is common, but this has a second for ground. Many just are designed to use the block (intake etc.) that it is screwed into for the ground which doesn't work well when you have it somewhere in a rubber fuel line. I just used a brass T with hose barbs on each end and the sensor in the middle.... or was it in one end with the barbs forming an L..... I'd have to look to remember, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
487 Posts
there is debate about fuel temp, with the 6.5 pump, to be honest, its a pretty weak pump to begin with, and while everyone says 160 and above is fine, that works on a Benz or a Cummins, but our 6.5s need the thinnest fuel they can get, IE, the HOTTEST oil they can get. my opinion of course, but i've done a lot of reading, and with some experience with VO systems on the Benz and Cummins, the electronic 6.5 is a differnt animal with different needs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am of teh opinion that pre-IP temp of below 170 is too cool, and the closer to 180 or higher while up and running is best. It would be impossible to get your fuel up to 180 with 180 stats in... to be honest, if you dont pull, try out the 195s see how they perform.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
487 Posts
I suggest trying the 195s, if you dont like them, its not the end of the world.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.