Diesel Place banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have you lost your mind? Under the above stated conditions I have driven a duramax, 13 miles per gallon at best. I'm not saying thats horrible, mine probably would have gotten 11...
Really????
I know with my LMM I'd get about 17.5 MPG under those conditions. Mine's bone stock BTW.

How do I know?? Lifetime average for my truck is 15.94 MPG with ~30 % of those miles towing, on the road trips I've taken without towing I average about 17.5 MPG with CC set at 79 mph

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
So maybe the new trucks get what the '06 models did. My '06 I can repeat 22+ MPG. Has to be in the high 70's or 80's and going 68 MPH also can't be using winter fuel. Pretty much this whole discussion is useless w/o the actual data. I see they were doing 1000 RPM. How do you pull that off? at about 55 or even 50 I'm doing about 1200. Face facts this article is more about writing articles that get people's attention then it is about discussing the true economy of a HD Diesel Truck driven daily.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The new trucks will get better MPG than the previous ones. The urea injection allows them to run more fuel efficient fueling while still running cleaner.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have you lost your mind? Under the above stated conditions I have driven a duramax, 13 miles per gallon at best. I'm not saying thats horrible, mine probably would have gotten 11...
No I haven't lost my mind. I can duplicate it anytime. You may have driven a duramax, but not mine. To only get 13 miles per gallon yours must have something wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i agree mine gets 23mpg highway and i have 500# minimum in tools at all time in back.

Im thinking bout goin to a powerstroke forum and bitching bout my old truck that i dont even have anymore. :wtf:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Fuel economy is important but I like to think reliability has more to do with what truck I buy. We got a guy on here that's running over 400 000 klms on an LMM and has needed to fix nothing more than a radiator and brakes. He tows 14000 lb trailer for 95% of those klms too. (forum is labeled 200k +miles on an lmm or something...)

Ford has not been known for that kind of reliability really...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bet these trucks were new with very low miles, see what happens with more miles on it and a filter starting to clog. Plus who the hell is gonna get on the highway to hyper-mile a truck??? If you can afford to buy a truck that expensive then fuel shouldn't be a worry, if you can't afford it don't drive it, I buy trucks to work not to get good fuel mileage!!! You want high fuel mileage go buy a hybrid and I'll keep rolling coal regardless of mileage!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Good fuel economy is like a "cool fad" in the diesel world. For example: if your diesel doesn't get "good" economy then that's not cool. It really has nothing to do with the 2 to 3 extra dollars and miles give or take.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well if people like diesel with fuel economy i bought my wife a tdi jetta that gets 48 at 75. Just not concerned about mileage on my truck because i know that same model in gas motor would be a lot worse with all the stuff I put on a truck, so put me in the teens and I am happy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm pretty sure the new fords can be had with a 3.31 rear axle as well, which is probably the one used for the 29mpg test. I'd like to see how a duramax could do with those gears.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I get 19 ish most of the time on the highway which I think is good and every once in a while I'll see 21. I do not really try all that hard to get good fuel mileage but I drive my truck sensible most of the time. I think advertising a mpg number that was hyper miled is insane. There are gonna be some people that buy the new ford just for the 25 mpg or 29 mpg claim. That's a problem just waiting to happen to ford when true mpg doesn't break 19 mpg. I would not want a diesel truck with a 3.31 gearing with 20" wheels. I wish I had 4.10's in mine now. These trucks are made to pull heavy stuff and get reasonable mpg. I do think the current diesel trucks should get better mpg, but I doubt we will see 25 or 29 mpg from normal driving and the average person.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The reason for the increase in mpg in the 2011s lies mainly in the changes to the emissions system. In the LMMs, some exhaust gas is recirculated through the engine to reduce oxides of nitrogen, which in turn produces additional soot. As a result, the DPF requires a regeneration cycle more often than would be the case if there was no exhaust gas recirculation.

In the 2011s, the addition of a new SCR (selective catalytic reduction) catalyst to the DPF reduces the need to recirculate exhaust gasses through the engine. Instead, the SCR breaks down the oxides of nitrogen by utilizing the ammonia formed from the urea injected into the exhaust stream. This in turn means that more clean air and fuel can go into the engine instead of recirculated exhaust gasses, and greater power and torque can be developed in the engine.

The frequency of regenerations is also reduced, which enhances fuel economy even further.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well if people like diesel with fuel economy i bought my wife a tdi jetta that gets 48 at 75. Just not concerned about mileage on my truck because i know that same model in gas motor would be a lot worse with all the stuff I put on a truck, so put me in the teens and I am happy.
I did the same - my wfe rolls a 2003 TDI Jetta wagon - 51mpg if she doesn't let me drive (having the manual makes me wan to drive it like a sports car) - 43-47mpg when I get a couple laps in.

On the trip home from the dealer, my wife was doing ~75 w/o cruise, and the DIC said 18mpg when we got home (in our 2010). My 2005 would've been similar, from experience, which is nice. I just need to keep it in the 17-18mpg range.

100% diesel at my place - DMax, TDI & my '83 K5.

-bZj

·
Registered
387 Posts
I did the same - my wfe rolls a 2003 TDI Jetta wagon - 51mpg if she doesn't let me drive (having the manual makes me wan to drive it like a sports car) - 43-47mpg when I get a couple laps in.

On the trip home from the dealer, my wife was doing ~75 w/o cruise, and the DIC said 18mpg when we got home (in our 2010). My 2005 would've been similar, from experience, which is nice. I just need to keep it in the 17-18mpg range.

100% diesel at my place - DMax, TDI & my '83 K5.

-bZj

Hahahah I hear you on the sports car part, put the 17's on the tdi, so the handling on curves is great. If chevy drops the 4.5 in a 2500 suburban I am all over it, for now we have settled with the 6.0 on the 2500 suburban for a travel vehicle only gas i will ever own!!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts