Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I turned over 18k miles on the truck I bought on the 28th of December and it seems to be running great!

I keep reading of all of the issues people have been having, but so far, the only things I've noticed is the smoke... ESPECIALLY when I let it idle for an extended time (it basically just loads up then pukes out TONS of grey smoke for the first half mile or so when I take off). and I get an intermittent Brake, ABS light and a service brake system message on the DIC... It only seems to happen when I remote start it and it is very intermittent, so I'm thinking it's electrical... Otherwise this thing rules!!!

Now, let me clarify... I am talking a VERY long extended idle. Like when I'm sleeping in my "sleeper" for say 5-6 hours on a cold northern midwest winter night.

Usually when it idles for say an hour or so, it does belch some grey smoke, but it tends to clear up pretty quick.

I guess the fuel mileage could be better, but come on... it's a 6500lb HUGE truck with 650 Lbft of torque, so I'm happy with 18 HWY right now (of course I'd like more)

Anybody have MORE miles on an LBZ and have any advice for me?

I'm patiently waiting on the bully Dog triple Dog and outlook combo before I mod it (except the sraight pipe that I did yesterday.)

So far I love the truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What do you do to put all those miles on in such a short time? This weekend I'm going down to my local GMC dealer and ordering my truck.

I put 105,000 miles on my 02 Dodge Grand Caravan and I thought I put alot of miles on it in short order, but 18,000 in two months...lets just say their ain't no grass growin under your wheels:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, I turned over 18k miles on the truck I bought on the 28th of December and it seems to be running great!

I keep reading of all of the issues people have been having, but so far, the only things I've noticed is the smoke... ESPECIALLY when I let it idle for an extended time (it basically just loads up then pukes out TONS of grey smoke for the first half mile or so when I take off). and I get an intermittent Brake, ABS light and a service brake system message on the DIC... It only seems to happen when I remote start it and it is very intermittent, so I'm thinking it's electrical... Otherwise this thing rules!!!

Now, let me clarify... I am talking a VERY long extended idle. Like when I'm sleeping in my "sleeper" for say 5-6 hours on a cold northern midwest winter night.

Usually when it idles for say an hour or so, it does belch some grey smoke, but it tends to clear up pretty quick.

I guess the fuel mileage could be better, but come on... it's a 6500lb HUGE truck with 650 Lbft of torque, so I'm happy with 18 HWY right now (of course I'd like more)

Anybody have MORE miles on an LBZ and have any advice for me?

I'm patiently waiting on the bully Dog triple Dog and outlook combo before I mod it (except the sraight pipe that I did yesterday.)

So far I love the truck.
18,000 miles in 2.5 months:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Getting a little better

I'm getting between 19 and 20 MPG on the highway with the Bully Dog, as long as I keep my speed down and my foot out of it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
18,000 miles in 2.5 months:eek:
yeah, the last 2 weeks I didn't really do any driving (took some time off), so I'm averaging about 9,000/month or so.

IN fact, 3 weeks ago I put 8500miles on the truck from friday to the next sunday.... about 8.5 days total.... so that's right at 1000 miles a day on average :eek: :eek:

Now THAT was a fun week!:D

I bet My truck could make the trip from the top to the bottom of the country with me in the back seat sleeping at this point;)

From now on I'll probably average about 6-8k a month... so that's not so bad.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What do you do if you don,t mind me asking? We repair const. equipment and our service truck does not run those kind of miles. 1000 mile week would be extreme. wouldn't want your fuel bill at the end of the month thats for sure:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
If your going to let the truck idle for prolonged periods of time, install a hand cable to bump the idle up to about 1000-1200rpm to keep the truck from loading up. ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
hand cable?

install a hand cable to what? its all electronic not quite the same as your cummins-:t !! and that 18mpg is that calculated by just mileage or have you factored in all that idle time with no movement?

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I pull RV trailers (transporter) currently working for FEMA for the Disaster Releif stuff.

Yeah, no place to attach a cable on these REAL Diesel engines... haha. Actually I am still a BIG Cummins fan, but I just can't get around the ****ty wrapper they come in!

The mileage is actually not even HAND calculated... I noticed that it was actually a little better when I calculated out one tank, so when I take out the idle time and actually make the calculations, it will probably be pretty good really.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
50,000 on mine, purchased 12/26/05:eek: :eek: :eek: .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
more haulers... who do you guys work for?

Lemme Guess.... Hoosier? wait, Quality? Rad?

Oh, Horizon... right?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Horizon?

I figured as much, I see 10 Horizon trucks to every one of the others...

I'm in Nashville. Just off 65... so the Fema trips to the gulf coast go right by my house (literally, I can see 65 from my back porch)

Yeah, I'm with RAD right now... so far so good.... I have had some minor issues getting my checks on time, but it has always been a "communication" issue... and resolved ok.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Classic Transport for me. Hauling exclusive for Jayco.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts