Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what everyone was getting for mileage with there 18:1 motors? i want more power but dont realy want to be feeding it the diesel when im not being hard on it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
so far 16-17 but i have my foot into alot:D :D :D :D .

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
16 city, 18 highway with my new Peninsular Diesel motor. Less than 3K miles on it so far.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
16 city, 18 highway with my new Peninsular Diesel motor. Less than 3K miles on it so far.
time to hi-jack . . . . . .

Jake, indulge on you r motor please:) , what all u got there?

·
Registered
108 Posts
....and what kind of money will one of them set back a fella ?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've sunk way too much cash into a 10 year old truck. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I paid just over $9K for the motor and another $2,200 to have it put in. It runs strong. It has the 18:1 pistons, bigger turbo, high-pop injectors, and a reworked high-flow IP. I still have a starting issue. It smokes terribly on start-up. I am working with Peninsular to get that addressed. Unfortunately, it is difficult to diagnose via long-distance. I may have to drive it up to Michigan to get it fixed right.

My original motor died a very untimely death. My daughter borrowed it and had the water pump pulley fail. It wasn't bad, except she drove it for another 20 minutes without the water pump. Cooked the motor good! It still ran, but sounded differnt (loud). About 1,000 miles later when I was driving it, it snapped the crank and dumped all the oil and coolant on the road. It didn't help that my wife was with me and I had just put my foot into the throttle (only 2/3 of the way...). It was loud and strong, then BANG, THUMP, and WHING!!!! I actually saw pieces of the engine hit the road in the rear view mirror. It was a couple chunks of the timing cover. Oh well, that's all behind me now...

·
Registered
108 Posts
That could not have been a very good feeling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see your from Newport News , I spent almost 2 yrs down there while in the Navy did sea trials with the good ship USS George Washington . I miss all you can eat crab legs at Harpoon Larry's . They probably dont miss me though .:)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
my short block cost me $6K and then I got about another $1200.00 worth of add-ons that I did myself like Holset turbo, intercooler, exhaust and a trans kit.

It was all worth it:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Right now my 6.5 runs like a swiss watch and only has 120000 on it so I dont think I'd be doing anything soon . But it intrests me none the less . I haul a very heavy camper and could use the extra ponys and stay with the older body style . I also need to upgrade my cooling or I'll end up doing a swapout before I'd care too . Does the place you got your motors from have a web addy .

Have you guys ever checked out thise place . http://www.marinediesel.nu/md_site.html

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Check them out at: http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/ They're a good group of folks and will work to build you what you want. They even have a 400hp twin turbo 6.5 that will knock your socks off.

Jake

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Mileage?

I think i averaged around 14.... but then again i have this problem with my right foot when i get in my truck, i dunno what it is but it always just gets sucked to the floor like a magnet or something... i should really get that checked out...

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
It's the lead magnet under the floor board pulling on your lead foot.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Ah.. I see now... The only way to fix that would be to get my 00 back on the road and let the magnet weaken over time..... either that or just continue to drive the 94 Blazer.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Will that help, my muffler bearings are gettin kinda weak you know...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I only paid $10.00 each for my high performance battery caps they upped my mileage from 15.7 to 19.9. a real good investment

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
14.5-15.5 depending on my patience levels.

I spent $4500 on mine and put it in myself (well, the first time anyway)

I could only be happier if $100 bills fell out the exhaust.

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts