Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completely stock LBZ with 18K miles

Had block heater plugged in for 5 hours. Went outside to start (waited for the glow light to go out) went to start and just clicking (no starter cranking) was like WTF?? Waited and tried again ... it started just fine.

On my way to work and ABS light along with service brake system light along with CEL all on. I am at work now with truck plugged in so I will see what happens later.

Is it possible for the glow plugs to draw so much current that it took away from the starter system? that is the impression I got from the way the truck acted.

Not sure about the service lights but will make an appointment.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
CRT racing;1573097; said:
Completely stock LBZ with 18K miles

Had block heater plugged in for 5 hours. Went outside to start (waited for the glow light to go out) went to start and just clicking (no starter cranking) was like WTF?? Waited and tried again ... it started just fine.

On my way to work and ABS light along with service brake system light along with CEL all on. I am at work now with truck plugged in so I will see what happens later.

Is it possible for the glow plugs to draw so much current that it took away from the starter system? that is the impression I got from the way the truck acted.

Not sure about the service lights but will make an appointment.
No,it would'nt be a glow plug drawing problem.Sounds like a simple loose/corroded cable connection somewhere---cold weather will sometimes be the factor for this happening.Check for corrosion on your starter--I remember I had some after the Winter on my LB7 once.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Cold Starts

Be sure your headlights are off since GM has that crazy headlight light sensor that turns on headlights before you hit start on key. That is the dumbest thing to drain a battery. GM engineers are so blind to such easy things you know that all possible battery current needs in cold starts. I carry my generator in the back to run 2 hours before my outside starts. I just chain it up in the back and it is there when I want the aid of a warm block for sitting outside.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Was the truck still plugged in when you started it? If so, you should always unplug the block heater before starting the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts