Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday heading home from VT with the trailer/jeep, the truck sputtered and then went into limp mode (nothing over 2k RPMs). What a PITA. It was throwing a P0087 DTC (Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) Too Low). I pulled over and reset the DTC and it would go okay for a few minutes and then right back into limp mode.

BTW, I just changed the fuel filter 300 miles ago. It could be a bad tank of fuel, I guess...

The only good news was: the truck has enough power to run 60 MPH pulling the trailer, even when it's in limp mode.

The bad news: the truck wouldn't even start this morning. It's under warranty: so I just had it towed to the dealer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
How cold is it out?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
around 30F

it could have gelled, but I'd be shocked on such a mild day.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
gelling is my guess as well. run an additive, especially during the winter time to prevent the gelling.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run stanadyne on every tank.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You may have air in the system. Try and back out the bleeder screw, pump it up until fuel comes out, and then tighten the screw. It sounds like air to me.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me today. It was -20 deg out. I cleared it with the Edge & then it was good. I am also do for a new fuel filter too. I am so glad I could just clear the code & go. I thought at first I hit the tranny limp mode, but I saw p0087.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have had that code maybe fifteen times but under hard acceleration and on a hot tune even with fuel valve shimmed new lift pumps and new filter and now no problem. If your running a hotter tune your gonna take too much fuel

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mine did it too. Clogged fuel filter due to bad fuel. Carry an extra with you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there anyway to clear the code besides going to dealer.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you turn the ignition off and then re-start the truck then it will not default back to limp mode if it does not see the problem when the ecm boots up. The CEL will stay on for 60 cycles or something like that. Then the light will go out and it is recorded.

·
Registered
76 Posts
CRASHNBURN;1572355; said:
I just had the same thing happen to me today. It was -20 deg out. I cleared it with the Edge & then it was good. I am also do for a new fuel filter too. I am so glad I could just clear the code & go. I thought at first I hit the tranny limp mode, but I saw p0087.
When you say "it threw a code", do you see this code - where do you see this?
Using a diagnostic tool?

And - does the EDGE have a readout? to do this?

Thanks,
john

1 - 13 of 13 Posts