Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is -15 below here and will be for the day. I am at work. Should I keep it running? Turn it off and just restart it every couple hours? If it is running doesn't that warm up the fuel? I had it plugged in last night and it started up no problem, I am just worried about the fuel gelling with me at work. I put some standyne in, but not sure if that would prevent it or not.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a couple of gelling problems here in Vermont, -5 to -10, but found out there was some bad fuel at the local Mobil dealers... Switched to another brand, added Stanadyne as recommended, and have not had any additional problems. Oh yes, also changed the fuel filter.

I think with good fuel and Stanadyne you should be OK. I would not leave you truck running all day. Good luck.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You should be fine. I also don't recommend leaving it running all day. Leaving it running won't keep it from gelling at that temp anyways. I would always add a little extra anti gel juice of any flavor in that condition.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
cold starts

Carry a gas powered generator in the back chained up and locked so you can start it up 2 hours before you need your start up on the truck. Most all the guys on here have a generator if they have a rolling house they drag behind them and those generators just sit all year in the trailers usually. It is what I do for aid on cold starts. I use the generator for outside tasks all year anyway so I carry mine alot. Just my way of fighting the cold like that low temp you have too.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Yes,there is a fuel heater on your filter mount but that is no guarantee you still won't gel.If you don't have winterized good clean diesel with a good additive with the correct amount{I always keep my Howes bottle tipped a little longer when it's real cold},you might still gel up.So no to the idling all day--not good for your engine/waste of fuel---you have to know sometime/somewhere if you will be OK so why not at work where you can go inside to get out of the cold?Can't you run a cord for your block heater and/or a heating blanket on top of your Dmax during the day?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might be able to run an extension cord if I can park closer to one of the buildings. I saw one of the other threads talking about diesel #1. I have never heard of it or seen it around here (SE Wisconsin). I am pretty confident that the winter blend is being used at my gas station. I guess we will see what happens at the end of the day.

·
Registered
976 Posts
#1 is usually sold as a premium diesel, the Amoco/BP is called Premier and is the only refined premium diesel on the market. (refined as a premium diesel not all additives) Most other premium diesels are #2 with additive packages to boost cetane and some other juices and sold as a #1

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Put a Espar Hydronic D5 in and you will be nice and warm. Set the time so it comes on a hour before you leave and the truck will be to about 140* at -15 in that amount of time.

Greg

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm putting my faith in good fuel (BP blended for winter), strong batteries and good living - Or the best out of three.

My first oil burner and my wife is just waiting to spring the "told you so card"

·
Registered
406 Posts
Although it may be harder on the engine, It will start very easy. Alot of times I go places where I cant plug in, as cold as -30 and never had a problem not once!! Also remember that plugging in will not help to keep the fuel from gelling or icing up, you have to take other measures to assure that your fuel is taken care of:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Run the winterized #2. You will lose power running the #1 according to my sources. I ran from Southern IL to Northern WI yesterday on #2 wintereized and had no problems. I added a small taste of the power service to go along with it to be sure because we had -40 winchills yesterday.
I think you'll be fine leaving it shut off during the day with the winterized #2but would probably run it at your lunch break if possible or keep it plugged in if you can.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
-28*, mine starts fine without being plugged in.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
dont worry about it, it will probibly start rught up and run fine after you put in your 8.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went out for lunch. The fuel temp on my Edge gage said it was 0 degrees. I am not sure where it takes the reading from, but it started right up and I let it run when we ran into Burger King. Fuel temp was 44 when I parked it again. I guess I am not worried about it not starting now as there were no problems with it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Frozen Tundra;1573549; said:
Run the winterized #2. You will lose power running the #1 according to my sources. I ran from Southern IL to Northern WI yesterday on #2 wintereized and had no problems. I added a small taste of the power service to go along with it to be sure because we had -40 winchills yesterday.
I think you'll be fine leaving it shut off during the day with the winterized #2but would probably run it at your lunch break if possible or keep it plugged in if you can.
I don't like the #1 either. Mileage and power both decline.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Frozen Tundra;1573549; said:

Just as an FYI, windchill will not affect anything beside your (aka human) perception of the temperature. Your truck and fuel will never be below the actual ambient temp.

·
Registered
488 Posts
smokinjoez;1573609; said:
Went out for lunch. The fuel temp on my Edge gage said it was 0 degrees. I am not sure where it takes the reading from, but it started right up and I let it run when we ran into Burger King. Fuel temp was 44 when I parked it again. I guess I am not worried about it not starting now as there were no problems with it.
On my edge attitude, anytime the readings such as coolant temp or trans temps always reads 0* whenever the reading is less than 32* but after just few minutes when it gets above freezing it finally starts showing a reading, pretty much what i'm trying to say is that the edge won't give any reading unless it's above freezing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey man, I am SE Wisconsin too, menomonee falls, was -18 by me last night, had to start up early this morning and all was fine. I also am at work right now and the truck will start up fine when I get out, just let the glow plugs do their job and she'll start.

Try to plug it in at night, but during the day I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts