Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are leaving for Florida early Sunday morning and the weather is suppose to be around 15 degrees when we leave. It will not be easy for me to hook up the heater as the truck is going to be away from the garage with the 5th wheel hooked to it. Will it start ok?? I plan to let it warm up about 15 min. before we leave.

Tom
Edited by: bearnc1

·
Registered
868 Posts
It will start fine. +15F is nothing. I am starting at -15F without any drama here in Vermont (using 5W-40 oil).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, I am amazed at how well mine starts in cold weather! We've had quite a few days below 20 here so far. I left work a little while ago and it was 13. It stars in one to three seconds, just like summer. It will have a lot more diesel rattle for a few minutes and sometimes the trany will have a whine for about a mile (but not loud). I drive through town for a couple of miles instead of getting on the freeway by work when it's below freezing so as not to put a big load on it till it warms a smidgeon (also this was recomended by other posts). Florida sounds nice! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
No problem with 15° starting and no block heater. First time it was 0° I was back home for deer hunting and my dad asked if we need to plug "that thing" in. I said, nah, I wanna see how it starts that cold since it's the first winter I've had it. Next morning it fired right up. Glowed a little longer before the glow light went out, but no problems. Sounded like the pistons were changing cylinders for a few seconds but settled down and then I clicked the high idle on for warm up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You should have no problems. Overnight lows here have been -18°F for the past few days and have had no issues with starting. I use FPPF Total Power with every fill up and set my high idle to the middle setting (1250RPM) for 5 minutes before heading out. She'll smoke a bit at first and run a bit rough but smooths out after about 30 seconds or so. Just watch the oil pressure, make sure your not pegging the gauge.You should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts