Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Moroso last night pulling my 11 second 94 RX-7 with my LBZ ec sb 4x4. Unfortunately I broke my rear on the first attempt so I unhooked my trailer and ran the Duramax twice. The truck is 100% stock and had 2480 miles on it with all my tools and junk in it. I have been told to never use 4x4 on pavement so I stayed in 2wd, did a burnout and stepped on it without any boostlaunch or locking up the converter. The truck spun through four gears and at about 65 mph went sideways enough for me to let off to keep from hitting the wall at the 1000 ft mark. Keep in mind the track was sticky enough for me to break a built rear with chromoly axles, drag radials and a 6 puck clutch. I ran a 19 sec ET but still trapped 82 mph (!!). Next up was the last run of the night. Frustrated, having broken my racecar, and not even a hope of traction in 2wd, I switched into 4wd high. I launched at 1500 rpm, got a 2.1 60', and ran a very satisfying 15.4 @ 85 mph in this factory stock 9000 lb truck without the engine broken in. The Duramax salvaged my ruined night with those two fun runs, the pulled home hundreds of miles to Homestead. :grd:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Isnt 650 lb ft @ 1600 rpms just awesome:ro) , sorry to here about you other ride breaking but at least you had fun with the TOW RIG!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Your truck spun through 4 gears and went sideways at 65 mph stock without a boosted launch eh? Those LBZ's sure run good, considering my modded LB7 pushing in the neighborhood of 500rwhp and 1000+tq doesn't get that out of shape. Also, did you pull your trailer on that last run? I was wondering why your truck weighs 9000lbs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Maybe he launched out of the water box.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im sure he also has stock tires and probaly didnt adjust air pressures. He said he just unhooked it from the trailer and ran it. Nice times, Way to go

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:blahblah: I was running 80 psi in my rear tires, as suggested by GM for towing. I did a burnout in the water box, but it was not as smoky as I would have liked, because the truck started upshifting gears so I let off after a few seconds. There may have been water splashed onto the wheelwell :confused: . I did not boostlaunch, and the truck DID spin non-stop up to 65 mph, and I think I counted 4 gears. It was not violent at all until I got scared and let off, the video shows a slow cruise in a straight line with the tires chirping, and even the commentator lady says that I finally got traction 3/4 ways down the track. I am happy with the low 15 and high trap, and I don't need to lie about my tow truck (see my sig), just was kind of suprised:rant: . How damaging to the driveline is an occasional 4wd boosted launch and full run on a paved road? Also, what is the estimated weight of my truck with glass sunroof and heavy duty trailering package 4x4 ec with a tank of diesel, hitch and tools? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Nice times......your truck should weigh in around 6500-6800 i would guess.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I pulled my 11 second dodge cummins to the track a few weeks ago, smoked a single disk torque converter, but still ran 11s. I unhooked my trailer, unloaded all the garbage off of my LBZ farm truck, toolbox and bed mat stayed on, about 200 pounds. Let my wife run the truck with me in it, all 2wd runs, we have 285/70R17 tires with hummer wheels. It ran 16.21 at 83.97 with a 2.39 60'. There was another guy there with a CC LBZ doing 4x4 launches, stock tires, 15.4 at 85. Not bad for stock trucks at all.

Next time I'm pulling my Chevy to the track with my Dodge, unload the chevy, unhook trailer and go run some 11s. I don't need to trailer my dodge to the track, it's a just in case kinda thing. Can't stand trailer queens.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! I just let my wife run our Syclone for her first ever 1/4 mile last night. She got a 14.3 @ 95 with a 2.3 sixty'. I ran a 13.7 @ 95 with a 1.8. I hate trailer queens too, I always drove my 11 sec RX-7 from Florida city to Jupiter and back, but I got lucky this time. I rented a trailer from U-haul for the first time to test out the Duramax and practice pulling, and broke my car at the track.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The 15.4 seems right to me compared to my truck. My truck ran 15.40's with the Juice on 60hp which puts me at about the same power level as a stock LBZ.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
If the truck was spinning all the way through the gears, there is no way to know how fast you are going. Just because the speedo said 65, don't mean squat! You may have been going 30 or 40!

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
:blahblah: I think the LB7 guys are a little jealous. Good times:ro)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice! I just let my wife run our Syclone for her first ever 1/4 mile last night. She got a 14.3 @ 95 with a 2.3 sixty'. I ran a 13.7 @ 95 with a 1.8. I hate trailer queens too, I always drove my 11 sec RX-7 from Florida city to Jupiter and back, but I got lucky this time. I rented a trailer from U-haul for the first time to test out the Duramax and practice pulling, and broke my car at the track.
Last time I went racing without a trailer, it came back on someone elses trailer, blew a turbo. Oh well, it's a lot more fun pulling the Dodge to the track in my new Duramax anyway, and it keeps me from street racing everything in site. When you come back from the track with your shoe polish numbers still on your truck, all the slow gassers wanna play with an old farm truck, poor guys. Now when I come back from the track with my dodge on the trailer, it looks like I bought an old beat up farm truck at an auction, ;) .

I've always liked the Syclones, too cool.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
:blahblah: I think the LB7 guys are a little jealous. Good times:ro)
YEA! That`s it! My truck can run mid 14`s all day long in 2 wheel drive, and it will very seldom spin any at all! So I am to believe that a truck that is a second slower, can spin through the first four gear at will?:rolleyes:

I was born at night, just not last night:muahaha:

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
:funnypost :chillpill :stirthepo

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what the ?

I don't get it. I am currently working on uploading the vid of me spinning my tires 3/4 ways down the track from 2 angles with sound. Is there anything "unbeleivable" about 650 torque spinning tires with 80 psi in them with ease??????

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And just to clear things up, I work for a medium/healy duty Chevy truck dealer as an ASE certified technician and I get the impression that a few people on here need to look into the differences between the LBZ and the older trucks. It is NOT just 20 psi and 50 extra horse. EVERYTHING is different. They sound nothing like an LLY and have an extra 1500 rpm to start with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.