Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Crew Cab Short Box D/A with 15,xxx.. Its been Juiced since 3,xxx..... I also have 265's on it..... I am starting to get some slop in the drivetrain when letting off the throttle and giving it throttle......
I run around in level 2 and run the occassional level 4 T/H run to out run some A**holes......

Anyone else getting this sloppyness so fast? My towing is limited.. I pull my boat, about 8,500 pounds, and a 4 place quad trailer, like no weight at all.... Is it the juice?

ISNMU

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
ISurvivedNMU,

Welcome to the forum

My 2001 has 60,000 miles on it and I don't percieve any extra slop in the drivetrain. I had the "Big Honker" driveshaft installed early on and have been running lp for a long time.

If I was you I would ..... careful now.... emergency brakes on and chock the wheels... heavy foot on the brakes...get someone in the truck and look under to see where the slop seems to be by having them shift between forward and reverse.

Possibilities include....

Premature U joint failure
Premature ring/pinion/bearing wear
Leaf spring problem
All in your head
Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the telephone pole under there... one piece.......

Hoot I have looked and without getting crazy it looks like its inside the trany.......... Pisses me off.... I may have to visit eric on Oct 11 dyno day 4 his opinion......

It sucks cause it jerks ya when you get back in the gas.........

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have the two-piece drive shaft and I think that it adds a bit of looseness to the drivetrain. You might attribute some of it to the Allison, mine seemed to improve a bit after the install of the Suncoast tranny but then again it could be all in my head. It may be more a characteristic of the G80 locker.

That being said, there is not a truck out there that does not have some play in the drivetrain. My 02 is worlds apart from my 92 GMC with the handshaker. It is getting close to 200K and is as loose as an overworked crack ho. I reckon it is just getting broken in.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
ISurvivedNMU said:
I have the telephone pole under there... one piece.......

Hoot I have looked and without getting crazy it looks like its inside the trany.......... Pisses me off.... I may have to visit eric on Oct 11 dyno day 4 his opinion......

It sucks cause it jerks ya when you get back in the gas.........
It's possible your trans is hanging in 2nd or nuetral when you stop. When you go, it bangs into first.

Get on a level surface and check fluid level per your manual.

The first thing I would try after checking fluid level is the 55-0 downshift routine. Take it up to 55 and drop the shifter into 1. The Allison will do a controlled downshifting sequence. Do that about three times. It seems to cause the trans to readjust somewhat, curing that issue. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoot, Ill try that... I dont get it at take off.... it seems solid there....

I get it more like when i back off the throttle to turn and when I give it gass again, no matter how slow, I get a thud.....

Forward to reverse is OK... just while moving?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hoot---Wasn't that old wife's tell of the 55 to 0 thing put to rest and was proven to not help anything except to burn diesel?

·
Registered
612 Posts
My '02 3500 CC has a two piece drive shaft. Had to have it replaced at 35,000 due to play (slop) in the fitting of the splines where the two shafts are joined. Dealer tried all kinds of grease prior to doing replacement but it didn't help for long. About 9,000 miles since replacement and all is smooth ... Don't know if this applies to your situation but hope it helps ... Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
JEBar said:
My '02 3500 CC has a two piece drive shaft. Had to have it replaced at 35,000 due to play (slop) in the fitting of the splines where the two shafts are joined. Dealer tried all kinds of grease prior to doing replacement but it didn't help for long. About 9,000 miles since replacement and all is smooth ... Don't know if this applies to your situation but hope it helps ... Jim
JEBar,
My '02 extcab 2WD 2500 has the two piece driveshaft also and just had the same problem "corrected" by using the special grease on the rear drive shaft slip yoke ("it was sticking") - runs smooth again. Symptoms were a slight lurch forward after brakes had brought truck to a virtual stop and then a momentary delayed slight lurch backward? when accelerator was used to start moving again. This became a constant event so I took it to the dealer and they took care of it for 1 hour of shop time. I had an idea this was the problem after reading yours and other messages some time ago.

Truck had 43,000k last June when I bought it - now has 51,000k. After market warranty wouldn't pay as there was no "failed part". From your experience and from what I saw on TDP on this topic I would bet I get the warranty honored before I hit 100,000k.

Hopefully this will help some other '01/'02 owner with 2 piece driveshaft in the future.

Bill

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
HEY

I know that overworked crack ho...

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
lube the splines on the slipyoke with the magic blue grease that GM has

·
Registered
36 Posts
mtomac said:
lube the splines on the slipyoke with the magic blue grease that GM has
How many miles/hrs can you expect before this comes around again? Is this a matter of wear? .....and if so it seems to me when the yoke is replaced with like-kind fix it will just be a matter of time before re-occurrance?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I cleaned and lubed mine around 15K and again at 40K. The second time turned out to be another problem. It still looked well lubed when I took it off. I used Mobil 1 synthetic. Later! Frank Edited by: Frank Blum

·
Registered
125 Posts
out of the 5 trucks my family has owned all 5 have knocked when they went into gear and had drivetrain slop from day one. They've all been back to the dealer for it and nothing has ever been wrong, or so they say.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The old cure was not only lube the slip yoke, but at the same time stick a valve spring from a small block in there as well. It kept pressure on the 'joint' and reduced shock from the movement.

Of course, the General frowns on this procedure.

Later...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts