Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the differences may be between an '04 Dmax and say an '01 or '02 in the fuel system ( fuel rail, injectors, etc... ). The rails on mine are visible outside the valve covers. I don't have access to an earlier model to compare with, and I'm wondering if there are any differences to help avoid the fuel in oil problems that seem to be way too common

This is a great forum. Thanks to all ! I'm on my way to information overload

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
If you don't have an LLY there are no differences from previous years. And from what I can tell, yours would not be an LLY yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks , Max

No, not an LLY

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Jamn, LLY is the engine code for the new Duramax engine starting production now and expected to start showing up in trucks next month. It has revised heads and injectors with the injector bodies outside the valve cover, a new variable-vane turbo charger and some other neat revisions including higher hp and torque. Unfortunately, they also are a "50 State" emissions engine, meaning that all of them have a catalytic converter and exhaust gas recirculation, which was only put on certain states (or "California") trucks prior to the upgrade. The Current Duramax engine code is the LB7.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
What’s New for 2004i - Start of Production 1Jan 2004
New Diesel RPO LLY Replaces LB7
· Variable Geometry Turbocharger
· Revised Fuel System with New Injectors
· Two-Piece Rocker Covers
· Fast-Heating Glow Plugs and Controller
· Improved Engine Control Module (ECM)
· Revised Air Induction with Resonator
· Improved Water Pump