Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing an '01 Chevy Duramax CC 4x4. Is there any problems that the '01's are known for having or special things to look at on the truck?

I have never owned a diesel pickup before, thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

·
Registered
612 Posts
GM changed the injectors during the '02 model year ... can only assume they had a reason ... we have an early '02 that has the same injectors as an '01, 52,000+ miles with zero engine/transmission issues ... have installed a post OEM Mega fuel filter in the hope doing so will lengthen injector life

Jim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Lose Torque Converter bolts is anouther concern .... There are a few software upgrades from Lopey idle to shift business ...

Look for hints of performance devices (I know hypocrite) ...

Consider a extended warranty .... How many miles ??

Mac

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just out of curiousity, are you getting it from a private seller or off a dealers lot? If not too personal what are they asking for that puppie??

I have heard the '01's with low miles, under 50K are going for around $25-$29K.

Chances are if there were any problems it was already fixed, converter bolts showed up rather early (less than 30K), there's suppose to be a steering rattle, but mine never had either of those problems. Injectors seem to be driven mainly by bad fuel and are across the board, all years except too early to tell on the new LLY motor.

Some have reported leaking axle seals, the big one on the '01 is the airbox draws fresh air from the fender well and in some cases water was getting into the airbox, The fix was to upgrade the airbox to the '02 model which closes off the air from the fender well and the new box draws air from the engine compartment. Yours may be changed already or still have the stock airbox. Take a look and see what's at the bottom of the airbox inside. Water stains will tell the tail. When looking at the box on the left side, the OEM box had 2 little rubber snorkels between the box and the fender for air inlets. Corrected boxes have silver tape over the fender holes and no rubber snorkels. Not everyone had the water problem, but see you are from WA. and may have a lot of rain in your area LOL

Then there is the "tick" which sounds like a typewriter in some cases, but all truck models seem to have this at one time or the other, but so far never a problem and a non-issue to date

OK that's all I remember and my '01 has been great, you should enjoy the truck and appreciate the power without mods and really get a kick with mods if you so choose...

Go for it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
No need to worry about the 01 models in my opinion. I bought used late october, 49,000 miles on it at optioned out for 29,999. Best purchase I have ever made, traded in my '02 Avalanche on it. Best tricks, which were already covered are: Check the fuel filter, if they have changed it they will have records for it. I went over the whole compartment, checking everything, then went underneath to check fluids, condition of the front end, rear end springs, diff. front and rear, transfer case, even to checking for skid marks or hang up places on the frame and skid plates to see if it had been abused. Only thing I found was that it needs shocks all the way around. 50,000 miles on this engine just seemed to start becoming broke in. Good luck on your purchase. You'll want to buy cowboy boots and start chewing tobacco and blow the air horns when the four wheelers get in your way!

Again, good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh,and that includes FREE oil changes and filters for as long as I own it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. This truck has under 40,000 miles, but the majority of the ones I've seen around here for sale have around 50k and they want about $30,000. I think I could get this truck for a lot less. Although I'd really like a new one, we could be talking close to a $15,000 price difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my opinion I would stay away from the 01. My dad has an 01 and at 38,ooo miles the bolts came loose in the transmission wiping it out. It was just out of warrenty and it cost him $4500 for a new one. Go for a 02 or 03 I think they have this problem fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts