Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a G*$ D%$ F(*$%'ING photo radar speeding ticket. That's it I am buying a good radar detector.

How good do radar detectors work with photo radar? These photo radar are everywhere in this city!

·
Registered
958 Posts
A radar detector won't help you with photo radar, it won't alarm you until it's too late. I used to run with a radar detector, after getting a couple tickets I shouldn't have gotten, I sold it and slowed down. They just give you a false sense of security. If you speed you're going to get caught sooner or later.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't they go off when the people ahead of you go through it?

The thing is, I can't slow down. I am not going to go slower then the traffic and hold everyone up. I just can't do it. I go with the flow and still get nailed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Any normal detector needs to be hit by the beam before going of. So, in the case of photo's you need to be in the beam - which by that time it's too late.. - Most radar take a second to lock - if you're quick enough you might be able to get away with it. - Laser is different - you don't stand a chance.. unless you hang some CD's in the window
. You could get a jammer..! - or put your juice on the highest setting and be sure to fill the road with smoke

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, I was thinking of the smoke thing.

They have probably 50 of these things mounted on poles throughout the city. They also move them around frequently. They also have a half a dozen or so cars with photo radar mounted in them and they park them at various locations in the city and move them around a lot. I never even knew I was tagged until I go the ticket in the mail.

At least if I had a radar detector I would know i was tagged and I could go back and blow the F$cker up!

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are spy shops that sell license plate lenses that distort as the viewing angle increases. I've never used one, but they are suppose to work well for cameras mounted on the road side. Most laws require police to be able to read the plate from behind so you should be ok. Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a pasport 8500 and I generaly pick them up a block or 2 away. Ours use Ka band, easy to pick up.

Cheers

Bear

·
Registered
747 Posts
tophog said:
Did you hear "say cheese" over your radio when it happened?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Can't speak from personal experience
but some of the guys around here keep their tailgates down and say the cameras can't focus on their tags ... Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
Tailgate down - what a great idea
- I'm from the UK (don't hate me
) and the photo oppertunities are incredible.. Even on the motorway they have variable speed limits in the evening to help with traffic flow - they have cameras mounted to the signs that tell you the MPH
- I've known people to try just about every thing to distort/cover up plates.. - It doesn't work.. but then our plates are different too, so it may here.

You could always do what the kids in my old hood did.. - Black Spray paint the lenses

·
Registered
909 Posts
If the cameras are not angles off the side of the road, then the plastic (polarizing?) lens idea won't work. However, if the viewing angle is along the road side (as is the case with cameras mounted to speed signs), it guarantees the photo won't show your complete license # and so a near zero probability to get a ticket in the mail.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not that anyone would ever recommend such an action

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use a passport 8500 and they help if someone gets painted just ahead of you. Don't cover your license plate in Texas, new law no covers of any kind.

Bob

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Couldn't one just splash mud all over the rear of the truck (to include the plates)?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="926072286">You could but the fine for a covered license plate is a lot higher then the price of a speeding ticket!</LABEL>

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do they object to a pickup with a couple of trailer hitch balls installed on the bumper blocking the view to the license plate

I was behind a pickup today that had two balls installed on the bumper and there was no way you could make out what the plate was.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts