Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I get my transfer case fixed and my 1093 code figured out, I'm planning on adding some power to it. I was wondering how hard it would be to get a LB7 with 166k on it into the 14 second range, heck even low 15's would be fine. Is it possible to do with minimal transmission beefing? Is it possible to do with any type of chip or programmer? I want to do this with as little money as possible......Let me hear some ideas. I atleast want to be able to keep up with some stock camaros and rustbangs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well its always good to have a larger exhaust and air intake. Then with some easy tuning 14s should not be a problem.

Also for around $6000 you can get into the 12s
tranny upgrade
exhaust
intake
programming

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Bolyard;1572752; said:
Well its always good to have a larger exhaust and air intake. Then with some easy tuning 14s should not be a problem.

Also for around $6000 you can get into the 12s
tranny upgrade
exhaust
intake
programming

tranny 3000 parts DIY
exhaust 4" 400$
intake home cheapo pvc 40$
efi live with a 500hp tune free 750(v2) v1(560)

gauges 200$ boost and pyro/egt

then next would be a turbo then studs

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just strait pipe your truck and buy a tuner in the 100-150 hp range. Run a fresh fuel filter and let off the throttle when you are close to the 5 th shift. Thats the best way to have some fun without being forced to invest 6000 $$ in mod on your d-max IMO.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I can get you into the low 13's really easily, but without a trans you would probably only do it once!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Unit453;1572733; said:
Tuning......Start with that....Shouldn't take a whole lot to get into 14's.
I know that my truck will run in the 14's with whats in my signature...

As said before. Lift for the 5th gear shift and you will be fine...... I have pounded many camaro's and 5.sloow mustangs....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i ran a 14.4 on the 90 hp setting on my bully dog and a 4 inch exhaust, didnt even use 4wd or a boosted launch

·
Registered
723 Posts
1LTREATR;1572729; said:
After I get my transfer case fixed and my 1093 code figured out, I'm planning on adding some power to it. I was wondering how hard it would be to get a LB7 with 166k on it into the 14 second range, heck even low 15's would be fine. Is it possible to do with minimal transmission beefing? Is it possible to do with any type of chip or programmer? I want to do this with as little money as possible......Let me hear some ideas. I atleast want to be able to keep up with some stock camaros and rustbangs.
I do 15.3 and that's with 35's and a moderate tuner. Def possible!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My truck is slow

I haven't tried to time it yet, but I had a few chevelles that were in the 13' and 14's and my truck isn't that fast....pretty sure.

Maybe I need to tweak my Edge settings or something because what I got ain't getting it done and it really should according to what I'm reading here.

Scott

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Edge on 4 should be in the 14s. Your problem might be due to the Edge backing down as your tranny slips.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I guess that could be true but I can't feel the transmission slipping.
Is there a way to measure that?

The Attitude monitor displays transmission slipping but my understanding is that is only after the converter has locked. It always reads 0%

Hate to buy a new tranny if this one isn't slippinng.

But I know I'm not running 14's!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The Edge is smart and can actually backdown before significant slipping occurs. Edge also backs down as pyro and boost rise as I understand it. If you are getting 0% readings on the locked converter then you are probably not slipping the tranny though. Your tranny will start slipping over time if you run it hard in level 4 and level 5. What low boost fueling level are you running? That setting has a lot to do with the power you get. Also check your backdown settings and defuel on shifts.

Of course the more aggressive you set your Attitude the faster you will burn up your tranny.

Also, are you using the Edge for your 1/4 times or are you at a track? Are you doing a 4WD boosted launch?

Do you get lots of smoke?
What boost levels are you getting on your WOT runs?

The fact that you are a long bed and have 285s will slow you down some but I think you should still see 14s with your set up.

I ran my Edge on 4/5 for 40k miles before I was seeing significant slip in my trans.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll type my replies under your questions, and thanks for taking the time to chat.

Your tranny will start slipping over time if you run it hard in level 4 and level 5.
I'm usually in Level 3 and as of now hardly ever run 4 and not yet on 5

What low boost fueling level are you running?
If I understand the question, my settings on the Edge are:
1/1 2/2 3/3 4/4 5/5

Also check your backdown settings and defuel on shifts.
I have those at default because I don't know what effect they have or which way to go with them.

Also, are you using the Edge for your 1/4 times or are you at a track?
Neither, I haven't tracked time yet, but I've had 454 and 396 Chevelles that ran 13's and 14's and they would beat this truck, so I know it's not cranking it out.

Are you doing a 4WD boosted launch?
No, haven't done that yet.

Do you get lots of smoke?
Some smoke, but certainly not lots.

What boost levels are you getting on your WOT runs?
WOT I'm looking at 26-28 on the boost gauge

As you can see, I haven't really timed it yet and I'm not racing it, but I know what a 13-14 second ride feels like and this ain't it.

Scott

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ran a best of 14.88 with a 4 inch exuast and a bully dog programer on 95hp. nothing else. boosted launch and no weight reduction. just a 1/4 tank of fuel. i have ran between 15s and 14.8 all day long. with no problems yet. i have 125,000 miles and it still shifts great.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Couple more thoughts .... You'll probably need to be in power Level 4 with 5 on the low boost defueling setting-known as 4/5 - to get into the 14s. I recall running 5/5 and not noticing too much difference from 4/5 because the Edge was backing down to save my tranny.

Set the defuel between shifts to the middle selection. Still safer than no defueling the shifts but not as conservative as the defuel all shifts setting.

Try a boosted 4WD launch in Tow/Haul mode and use the Edge 1/4 mile timer and see how that works for you. You should see your boost gauge registering before you let off the brake and you will launch out of the hole.

Remember that although these settings should be plenty safe to try once in a while - over time running it at these levels will wear your tranny even with the Edge's excellent protection features. (again - mine ran on Level 4 for about 40K miles without issues then slips started increasing then I limped a couple of times- but I rarely launched it.)

Also remember that the truck will be slower than your muscle cars out of the hole unless you are doing a boosted launch (and maybe even then). Also remember that even at the same speeds/acceleration you wont FEEL like it is going as fast driving the bigger vehicle and sitting up high.

Let us know how this works for you. You have the right power adders to get there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

Let me make some changes and I'll let you know how it works.

It's gonna be a few days...right now the streets are wet or snow so I can't romp it safely for awhile.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Your probably running in the 14s a 14 sec. diesel does'nt feel as fast as a 14 sec. gas. A diesel gives you steady hard acceleration not as peaky as a gas engine which feels faster.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my edge was saying a ran a 16.2 when i really ran a 14.2 i had to check it on the track

·
Registered
87 Posts
...you can't judge how fast something is by how it supposedly feels, when I got my first LS1 Camaro, if felt slower than my LT1 Camaro that had a couple things done, quite slower. But at the track, my first time out with the LS1 went 12.90s all day, where as the best for the LT1 was only a 13.67. so obviously you can't judge by feel.
And to stay on topic, for 14's just get a decent tuner, you don't even need to max out tuner to hit a hi 14 sec. 1/4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts