Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how often to change the oil on a 14 bolt rear end and how much oil it takes? Also, i cant seem to find a drain plug on mine, only a fill plug on the side. ARe you supposed to take the cover plate off to drain?
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
If you are towing alot in hot weather, I would change the oil probably ever 30,000 miles. If you are talking about the 10.5" 14 bolt, if I remember correctly, it takes about 4 qts. Yes you have to remove the cover to drain the oil.

·
Registered
363 Posts
In my experience, if you are towing and fail to change to lube as dmaxlover states, it tends to eat up the thrust side carrier bearing. I would run a synthetic as it holds up better to high temps.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Grease Fire,
When you get ready to change your fluid, it would be an great time to replace the factory cover with an aircraft aluminum PML cover. It will add to your fluid capacity and will help keep things cooler, which are two good things to have. Plus they come with a built in magnetic drain plug and a boss for a temperature sender if you ever want to install a differential temperature gauge.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there any tricks to removing and replacing the cover or just a straightforward thing? I assume there is a gasket to replace but i thought i heard a while back there was more to it than just that.
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Boss Temp. Senser

Horsepower Upgrades,

Is the temp. senser boss on the PML on the right side (e.g. the fill hoe) and what size is the hole?

I had problems with this (hole size did not match with the sender) when I made the install and lube change, and I use it for a daily driver so I just use the fill plug to be able to drive to work the next day.

Tempted to drill and tap an alternate hole for the sender about 1/2 between the drain hole and the fill hole.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts