Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use a 12V air compressor. Not the Little 250PSI deals that you plug into your lighter but the other 12volts units. Something reasonably small. I have seen them at Jeep jamborees but not having much luck finding one. Anybody have ideas? What about the 12V air compressors used for the "Bagged" lowered trucks. Will they fill up a tire without burning up?

You serious off roaders must know.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Northern Tool has a few to chose from.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think you can mount a compressor to be driven off of the serp. belt in the second alternator location. I forget who told me that, but that setup would be very cool... Too bad for those of you with dual alts.

Might be worth checking into.

Ty

·
Registered
276 Posts
Duramax Dually said:
Anybody use a 12V air compressor. Not the Little 250PSI deals that you plug into your lighter but the other 12volts units. Something reasonably small. I have seen them at Jeep jamborees but not having much luck finding one. Anybody have ideas? What about the 12V air compressors used for the "Bagged" lowered trucks. Will they fill up a tire without burning up? ...

I don't know how "small" of an air compressor you want, but I used to work for a company that used 12V compressors for air bag suspension systems on buses. We used a Thomas air compressor.

Here's some on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2431291202

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2556949034&category=11805

cadman_ks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wish I had all the money I've spent on 12v compressors. Haven't found one worth a d*** yet! Getting one of our rears to 80 psi with a 12v could take the major part of a day.

Man, if anyone knows of one to mount on the engine I sure would like to hear about it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
4Doors that is sure a nice setup that vmac has. Do you have any idea on the price? I'm guessing 2-4k

·
Registered
160 Posts
Duramax Dually, I am one of those "Jeepers" you may have seen at the Jamborees. Yes, there are many options for serious 12 volt underhood (or other loacations) compressors. In my Jeep, I currently have a serpentine belt driven compressor. Output on the order of Rated at 4 CFM at 90 psi while running at 1200 rpm, and capable of 8cfm. Such a setup can be seen here:

http://www.onboardair.com/

A nice York setup on a Jeep will caost you $500-$800.

As far as electric compressors, lots to choose from. Check some out here:

http://www.central4wd.com/store/default.asp?ParentID=114

These are not the wimpy cigarette lighter types we have all wasted money on over the years.Edited by: jeephauler

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have no idea on the cost. I saw them at a trade show in Vegas a couple years ago. At the time, way to expensive for me. Great idea, just to much for the amount of use I personally would get out of it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
hope to have a serpentine pump to play with soon buddy bought it and doesnt have the time to work on it. i got the time and no money. hes going 12v.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I called vmac the turn key set up runs for 7k
on the 73cfm unit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
EASY, go to Ebay and put in 450c, comes in 24 vdc and 12vdc. Puts out max psi of 175 and a 100% duty cycle. 23 amps max, weighs about 9 lbs. This is wht they us in all the air ride suspension low rider trucks. Banks also uses this model for their engine brake. Made by Viair, found locally at 4wd shops for around 300.00 but found on ebay for 200.00 plush ship. Company in Canada and Co in So Cal I think. Goto Viair site or tellico4x4.com and they have lost of info. Storage tanks from justairtanks.com are several good sites.

Patrick

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Hahahahaha

I looked at all those $$$$$$$ setups and got better then all of them for 79.00.

I put a 1000w inverter in my truck for 79.00 and run a regular compressor I already had. I got the compressor at home depot for 89.00. Its a small twin tank and it will fill an H2 tire in 4 mins.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
problemchild,

Do me a favor.

Taks a look at the 1000w inverter and tell me what amperage it's rated at. Then check your compressor for the same. I'm not sure your inverter can handle a 110V compressor especially the startup.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Hoot

The compressor doesnt have an amp/hp placard. If I had to guess I'd say its 1/2-3/4 hp. It fills the twin tanks to 110psi in about 2 minutes. I then can air up my tires. It usually takes two full runs or 2 tanks.

My inverter is actually 800w not 1000. I made a mistake.
I have used it to air up the tires numerous times. It works great.

You want a laugh. My coffee maker actually puts a bigger load on the inverter then the compressor. The coffee maker (110v) pulls 60+ amps when converting 110 to 12v.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I calc the 800W inverter would draw a nominal 70A and provide apprx 7A of 120VAC. Max of 140A w/15A of 120VAC for a short period. Course one could skip the arithmatic and chk the value stamped on the fuse
Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pilot said:
Well you get what you pay for!

Patrick

MY OPINION/SUMMARY:

<$50 Cheap disposable 12v compressor. Available at most Targets and autoparts stores. Fractional CFM rating.

$150-450 Many manufacturers produce these for 4x4 and air bag use. Higher dollar within this range gets you more CFM and duty cycle rating. Use with larger onboard tanks will allow intermittent air tool usage at a duty cycle depending on your setup. From fractional CFM to 4 CFM. (quickair, viair, arb, extremeaire)

$500-1000 York based compressors either 12v, 24v, or engine belt driven. Great for off roaders and air tool usage. You can set a bead on a tire w/ these. Tanks are recommended, but optional. Duty cycle is constant for some, but a non-issue in most cases due to high CFM ratings in the 4-25 range. http://www.onboardair.com I've been looking at the XD2000 made by oasis off road, but I probably won't purchase for another year.

In the more $$$ than I can afford or justify category is professional compressors. By professional, I mean you should be making money using one of these. They are expensive, but may be a better alternative than towing a compressor to run a jackhammer.

$300-600 Liquid CO2 - I have one of these setups from http://www.powertank.com I've used it successfully for a few years now. Pros: Very portable, can run w/o electricity & engine, high CFM Cons: needs to be filled up peiodically, not good if left out of cab in freezing temps

Home brew inverter/120v systems: Better than the disposable 12v compressors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts