Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple pictures of my CAT 0749 filter after 12,500 miles of PRE-OEM service. As you can see the filter is not highly discolored and should have been able to run to at least 15,000 miles or more. Note the third picture reflects the filtermag debris inside the canister. the FilterMag was only installed for the last 1,500 miles and you can see visible debris. Click on an image for a larger version.

http://www.wackywack.com/images/2/Cat_filter12.5k2.jpgEdited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
868 Posts
Whoops, I missed something.

I had never heard of a FilterMag before, but I see they have a web site.

I never thought that there might be metal particles in the fuel. Where would they come from? Wear on fuel pumps in the truck, or in the upstream diesel fuel supply chain? Or is some of the "dirt" we are trying to filter out ferrous metal oxides?

Nick, have you put one of these on your oil filter(s) too? Sounds like it might be a nice thing to have on the Allison spin on, even though it already has some kind of magnetic device.

And what sizes did you put on? Not that I am too lazy to measure, but looking to the fellow with experience with fitting the device. Also, it is not real clear from the FilterMag web site how it attaches. Says it "snaps on". What does that really mean?

Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k1xv:

George morrison could best answer your question about where the ferrous particles come from, but perhaps storage/transport tanks from MFG to delivery of the fuel... i'll have to look up the part # but i think its RA365. it attatches via magnetism
.. and it won't fall off.. getting it off was a pain as i didn't have the right size screw.. stong magnets!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks, Nick. Looks like another good item to trigger "what on earth did you buy that thing for" from a certain member of my household.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts