Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to change my fuel filter a little early figuring it will be a bit cooler around here in another 4,000 miles. Needless to say I am a bit concerned. There were lots of sediment or rust particles in the bottom of the filter and in the water sensor thingy (technical term
). I am now convinced a second filter is necessary. Next question is, whether this crap can best be taken care of post oem or pre oem....or will it not matter. Hopefully this doesn't start another fuel filter debate. I just wish I knew where all that crap came from...the lines?? Tank??

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
861 Posts
well i wouldn't say you need another filter. it looks like your filter is doing a good job and keeping it out of your engine

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looks like you and I have been buying from the same pump. That is exactly how mine looked.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Bob!

So, did you make as much of a mess changing your filter as I did just priming mine? Based on what yours looks like, I might just change mine now at 5300 miles.

Today had mine out for about 100 miles on the highway. It seems to run a bit smoother, a little quieter and my mileage came back at 18 mpg doing mostly 75-80 mph. Definately better! So far, very happy with my install. Oh yeah, even flooring it getting onto I-25 could not see any smoke out of the tailpipe. Weird, Huh. Can't believe that the cat filter makes such a difference.

Later,

John

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mac,

I don't believe that he has run any additive. (Correct me if I'm wrong here 4x4man). We were talking about this yesterday whil he was helping me with a nictane kit install on my truck. I ended up hooking him up with a bottle of FPPF, as he was interested in the benefits of additives.

John

·
Registered
347 Posts
OK, That does it....

My filter has only 10,000 (rolled tonight) on it and it's coming off tomorrow......

I'll see if I can get it cut open for a look inside. I've been running Power Service pretty religiously since day 1.....

Later....

·
Registered
612 Posts
4X4man .... Having taken a filter off of my truck that proved to be similar to yours, I have become convinced that some sort of post OEM filtration makes the most sense. As stated above, your OEM filter did at least part of its job, it apparently removed water from your fuel. That moisture sitting on a metal surface apparently caused that metal to rust. This would be troubling but probably OK if our OEM filters provided true 2 micron filtration and the end caps of some filters haven't been found to be loose. To my way of thinking, pre OEM filtration can be a very good thing but if the OEM filter that comes after the prefilter can recontaminate the fuel, you still have a problem. ... Jim

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CS-DMAX

Fortunately I didn't make much of a mess. It only took around 10 or some pumps until a stream of fuel came out the bleader screw. Luckily I had some paper towels in the area to sop it up. I made more of a mess cutting that darn filter open!!!

MAC-

I was not running any additive religously. I did use one bottle of Power Service in the Spring, but that was it. As John stated I purchased a bottle of FPPF from him to get the added benifits. Not to mention mine makes a slight audiable knock at idle that his doesn't, so maybe my injectors are a little dirty and could use a good cleaning....not to mention some clean fuel to go with it!!

JEBar-

Thanks for the info. That is my main concern, if I pre filter the fuel, will the OEM contaminate?? Funny never thought I would ever ask whether the OEM fuel FILTER would ever contaminate a system...hehehehe

Bob

·
Registered
394 Posts
As has been discussed, the #1 cause for fuel system warranty DISallow, from my experience, has been the presence of corrosion in the fuel system. The photo above is corrosion. The corrosion did not stop with the filter; if it exists in the filter, it exists elsewhere in the fuel system. Dealers used to be much more accomodating back in the 6.5TD days but I understand that after a few service centers got their hands severely slapped for being too lenient on fuel system warranty repair, this is the first thing a tech does; look for visible corrosion in the fuel filter. As we have discussed, all diesel fuel has some level of entrained water; if it is not chemically 'locked up', prevented from seperating, it will cause fuel system corrosion. Period.. Moreover having rust/corrosion particulates present in the system is self-generated abrasive wear for the pump and injectors. This is why I am such a proponent of an emulsifying fuel additive such as Primrose 405 or FPPF, as an insurance policy against free water/corrosion. The fuel filter/fuel system corrosion shown so clearly in the photo was the result of following GM's recommendation of NOT using fuel additization...
George Morrison, STLE CLS
Edited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
George-

Thanks for the insight, it is appreciated. When I filled up last night, I added FPPF, so hopefully I am on the right track to clean the system up and prevent further problems. At this point if I can get the corrosion under control by getting the water "locked up" using FPPF, would it matter whether I did a pre or post oem fuel filter install?? I can't believe GM would lead us down this path of destruction....grrrrr

Thanks again for the info!

Bob

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding a pre or post fuel filter install. With respect to free water control/corrosion prevention, as long as entrained water is dealt with, either location is fine. Again, the emulsifying capabilities of both Primrose 405 and FPPF are limited to controlling normal amounts of entrained water, i.e. less than 100 ppm. A large slug of water cannot be emulsified and will hopefully be captured, for the most part, via the water separator.
George Morrison

·
Registered
217 Posts
It will take a while, but here is my plan of attack on this. I have been running stanadyne since day one, and have 5300 miles on my truck. I just installed the nictane kit, and also have switched to FPPF. This week I am going to replace my OEM filter, cut it open and have a look. I will post pics at that time. Then I am going to go about another 5000 miles (this time with FPPF and nictane), and replace the OEM again.

I sure hope that if I have corrosion in the first filter, that there is little/none in the second. Time will tell!

John

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding the performance, fuel mileage increases that are being reported with the CAT filter installations. As example, someone is marketing a 'fuel treatment device' that is right out of strings and mirrors land in that the diesel fuel is passed over rare earth metal (not a magnet) which causes increased reactivity of the fuel molecules (again, this is black art) resulting in some levels of increased fuel efficiencies especially on older, non-electronic diesel engines. (not our Duramax engines) Given that something as obscure as this device works, filtering out/removing non-burning, ash producing, flame propagation restricting particles from our very sophisticated diesel engines can provide significant increased efficiencies in the combusion cycle.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Thanks for the explanation George.. i guess any filter will look like that if water is allowed to sit in it? It does make sense that location won't matter. After all, the same water collects in all of them to a degree. Now that we've got everyone up on the need for a second filter, they just need to use some good additive (like primrose) to ensure good fuel system life...

4x4man. thank you so much for posting those pictures! hopefully people will take George's advice and run a good quality additive. this may just be the evidence some needed. i've cut all of my filters open before, but i've never seen anything like that. I guess my station has less water than yours (just more dirt).
Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding "I guess any filter will look like that if water is allowed to sit in it?" Yes, that is correct.. Unfortunately, corrosion potential goes beyond fuel filter to anywhere in the "system" that diesel fuel is allowed to sit for a period will result in free water settle, resulting in corrosion over time.. If we do not chemically "lock up" entrained water, loosely emulsified water will settle. An agressive emulsifer will not only prevent free water settle out but surround the water molecule with a lubricant surface enabling it to pass through the injector system safely. There is just no way of knowing what level of water exists in a particular fuel load; one load may have 40 ppm of water while another may be at 98 ppm. The higher the water content the more susceptible we are to free water settle and resulting corrosion, potential system damage.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Nick, I have made up my mind and after seeing the install on John's truck (CS-DMAX) I am going with your kit. I guess it is time to place my order. Is it best to call you, or order online??

I guess I just wanted to be part of the out of site out of mind club and it won't happen to me type of attitude. I think I will keep my fuel filter, so if I get any crap from the dealer (if I ever have a problem with my truck) I can show them the crap GM is allowing...no additive's gives you this.....EVERYWHERE!! Now why should I trust the OEM to make sure everything stays clean and damage free when it is proven it won't???

Thanks,

BobEdited by: 4x4man

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've still been sitting on the fence about additional filtration, reading all the posts I can. The recent posts about corrosion seem to be one of the best arguments yet for post OEM filtration. Even brand new Racor filters that have not been used yet seem to be candidate for corrosion. Based on what I understand from George's comments, treating the fuel may be just as (if not more) important than additional filtration, since the corrosion can appear anywhere in the fuel path.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts