Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am still fairly new to the sight, I don't have d-max yet but it is in the works, as I am in the process of switching jobs. I am currently employed as a GM Technician. Anywho several of my buddys do have Dmax's. I am trying to get an idea on what to do with one of them. It is an 04.5, that has a straight pipe and an air filter, other than those two stock. Anywho he drives the hell out of the thing, and can get it to set a 1093. When I drive it, I cant get it to do it. It pulls about 3.5" of vacuum at an idle. At steady 60mph cruising, roughly 8.5", heavy acceleration 13". I have changed the filter, when I drive know problem when he drives it he can usually get it to set a 1093. Those of you that have shimmed the fprv for this problem, has it taken care of it, with no other faults? Any input will be appreciated.

Riley

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Riley, take a snapshot of engine data 2 and make a couple WOT passes. If you see the pressure build to the desired pressure and then drop off, the FPRV is probably blowing and releasing the fuel rail pressure. You can also do the "bottle test". I've only had one truck that still had 1093's after I shimmed it, apparently it didn't have enough shim. In my opinion, the springs aren't manufactured to a very exact tolerance, that is why some trucks 1093 more than others. What tune is your buddy running? Others here will tell you differently I'm sure, but I have stopped 1093's on the PPE Hot+2 with a shim only and no lift pump. A lift pump will support more HP, but will not stop 1093's.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No tune, stock other than the exhaust and air filter. I thought about just ordering the kit from ppe, and installing it. I read the thread on the install, and seems pretty simple, his is pretty much the first lly I have had to work on. It had all been lb7's before his. Thanks for the insight.

Riley

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If he's getting them stock then you should probably change the valve with a new one. The valve isn't available seperately from GM so just swap the fuel rail with a new one. That should fix it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool I will try to get it back in the shop some time and see what I can figure out thanks for the help. I will let you know as soon as I get chance to look at it again.

Riley

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I got a brand new valve from Bosch and sent it to Midwest. He said it was one of the weakest he's seen. He shimmed it for me and I've never had another 1093.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Socal, how in the HeII do I get that valve out of there???? Just getting the bracket off was a royal PITA (mine looks NOTHING like the pictures in the PPE install directions). There's barely room to get your hands in there, much less a wrench!! Arrrrrrrrrrrg.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
getting the bracket back on is even more of a pita. try using two wrenches or a breaker bar to get it out. if that wont work, see if you cant get your hands on an impact gun small enough to get back there. I got one back there and used an 18mm flexhead socket to get a good seat on the valve. It broke free after about 10min of impact. Some of them really were "tightened by the hand of god" as McRat said.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've only been able to get a few off with a wrench. Like JMG343 says, you might want to get an impact back there. Please don't attempt with a 12pt socket, as you will round it off for sure.
PS, did you try cursing alot? Sometimes that helps and also you might want to throw something. Off topic, I threw my cell phone out the window out of a moving vehicle a few days ago and boy that made me feel really good. At least for a few days until my replacement cell showed up.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've only been able to get a few off with a wrench. Like JMG343 says, you might want to get an impact back there. Please don't attempt with a 12pt socket, as you will round it off for sure.
PS, did you try cursing alot? Sometimes that helps and also you might want to throw something. Off topic, I threw my cell phone out the window out of a moving vehicle a few days ago and boy that made me feel really good. At least for a few days until my replacement cell showed up.
LMAO! :lol:

Hmm, I think it may have started to round a *bit* already, since I tried getting it with a 12pt socket and a breaker bar...no dice. I've got 300 lbs of pulling force, so if I can get a 3' lever, I'll have 900 ft-lbs of hex-rounding force to :grd:

Guess I need to make a Sears run at lunch to pick up a 6pt wrench or 3...

As far as throwing stuff, I put a water pump on my wife's blazer a few weeks ago, and I got so pizzed that I ended up throwing the NEW waterpump across the garage. Throwing parts and/or tools really does make you feel better (as long as they're cast iron and can take the abuse, heheh.)

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
It took me quite a while to get that MF off. I used a wrench but whish I'd tried to get the impact back there. I weigh about 230lbs and had to practically jump up and down on it to break it loose. For all I know I may have had one of the less tightened ones.:eek: Good luck

Clyde, I have a few extra cell phones if you ever feel like doing that agian.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts