Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's fastest way to shut down if runaway occurs?

Little concerned about fss etc not working after ten year sitting.

·
Administrator
17,205 Posts
What's fastest way to shut down if runaway occurs?

Little concerned about fss etc not working after ten year sitting.
Use a sturdy piece of wood or rig up a flat metal cap to cover the turbo intake to block off the air supply.

Reactions: jnlperformance

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be starting engine, like I did on my 97, with no intake manifold, minimum wiring, etc.

Process pre-elimination. Easier to find problems and verify on the way.

I did this last year when replacing the ip and afterwards I thought, "what if it ran away?"
Now working on this 94 bucket truck, trying to be a little more careful.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Fastest way would to unplug the fuel shut off solenoid. But Verify it works correctly before starting the engine. I would also have a pair of vice grips handy to pinch off the fuel line to the IP. Just in case, if needed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll definitely have the vise grips(pre adjusted) in hand during initial start-up

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Dump a medium sized CO2 fire extinguisher down the intake

Reactions: Kgw51gmc

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,931 Posts
Is this happened or is this anticipating?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this happened or is this anticipating?
just anticipating. Tried to start tonight after tracking down tons of gremlins. Replaced PCM and glow plugs actually work now on their own. Bled, re-bled, retightened fittings and within seconds of cranking (Max 8 second cranks, mostly less) it coughed and spit and hacked. Did it a few times and it almost started tonight but the batteries were weak so I gave up.

Figuring out my old PCM was not just dead, but also I think draining the batteries were 2 big victories today.

And the almost starting was a huge morale booster. I have hope now. :bigglasse

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By Gawd, it starts right up and runs! After 10+, maybe 13 years of sitting, being filled with mouse and squirrel poop, walnuts and leaves down inside, etc... It started up and didn't even really smoke. It's not noticeably out of time, but prob needs some adjustment.

Oil Pressure Gauge is reading way too high (almost 60-lbs, my other truck is 40-lbs and I think it's healthier than this motor, has to be). I'm sure it's wrong, I'll be looking for a spot to thread my compression gauge into the block somewhere and get a real reading. But I'm guessing it has good oil pressure. Sounds loud with no intake on it, but seemed normal to me. I'm very excited.

Next I'll adjust that IP a mm here and there and see if it feels right. I wish a cheap
scan tool would SHOW TIMING but I know none do except the Tech 2 etc.

THanks for all the help to get to this point guys. It was a great feeling today to hit the key and see this "You better scrap that boat anchor"--engine start right up in a proud and strong way. Trans feels good to when I put in D and R, so I guess it'll pull the truck around. The brake lines are rusted out and needs a radiator etc, but no big deal---it's WORTH WORKING ON now!

Reactions: mbost

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And it still runs good on the farm.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 10 of 10 Posts