Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change from a 235/85/16 on my dually to a 255/85/16. I know I'll need spacers to get the duals farther apart, and I've heard pros and cons about whether that tire is too wide for the 6 inch rim, but my main concern right now is I need a 10 ply load range E tire, and I'm not seeing any. Anybody know if they even make them? My whole lift, spacer and taller tire plan might go out the window if I can't get a 10 ply. Oh, also I'm looking to go to something more aggressive than what I've currently got, which is Wild Country XRT II. BFG makes a Mud Terrain in 255/85/16, which would look great, but only an 8 ply. Thanks!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was looking into this when I swapped out tires. Check the load rating. In my case, the stock 245/75R16 is a 10-ply and has a load rating of E and 3042 lbs. I went to a larger tire, a 255/85R16 which only is an 8-ply and has a D load rating, but the rating was for 3000 lbs. So only a 42 lbs. difference. Most of the larger tires have this 3000 rating even though they are only an 8-ply tire.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh cool! I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the good info, you made my day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.