Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something wrong here? I have gone thru 4 filters in the last 10,000 miles! Half of the time was pulling a large trailer getting about 10 MPGs and somewhere in the first 2,000 miles I picked up water in the fuel, does it take this long to get rid of all the water? I have run the tank nearly dry 3 or 4 times now to flush it out. I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
you should drop tank and clean out. if you know you got contaimenated fuel/water, grude is growing from remaining water and clogging filter. their is still some fuel in tank(water/gunk) below pickup. look at both tanks. one way to check fuel before using unknown station, carry 1gal plastic jug and put fuel in and look at it, if there is junk drive on.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip.

I shut off my spare tank about 1,000 miles ago to see if that was the problem, I was concerned rust had formed inside it so I filled it and shut it off. I may have to drop the main tank and clean it i suppose. Is that very hard to do? seems like it would be.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just pulled the filter out and cut it apart, I attached the picture below. It looks fairly dirty but not clogged. It got me thinking, so I had onstar do a diagnostics. They came back with what seems to be a minor fuel problem. they just told me "the powertrain has detected a malfunction with the fuel system" I tried to get a code but the %#@*&^ person wouldn't give it to me. I have gotten codes from onstar at least 10 different times, apparently now you have to waste your time and money having a dealer get the codes.Censored Censored Censored

Attachments

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
That filter is only half used up(or has half it's life left). My filters look like that after 5000 miles.
Check with your local autoparts stores. One of them may be willing to check the codes for you (Autozone?). What else is the truck doing that makes you think that the fuel is bad.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can just tell it is lacking power. It seems to misfire when I get on it to. It has the symptoms of a gasser with bad plugs.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Now would be a perfect time to add a pre filter filtration setup (like the Nicktane setup). The money you blew on 4 filters would have come close to buying one. This way you trash $16.00 filters instead of $40.00 OEM filters.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The filters are not the problem. They are doing the job they are supposed to. The problem is contaminated fuel. The only solution is to remove the bad fuel. It is not a good idea to try to run the fuel out by driving the truck. That only causes more problems. If you took a drink of milk and it was stale, you would not drink the rest of the glass so you could fill it up again with good stuff right? Find a new place to buy your milk, …uh fuel. :)

Huck

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Might something coming from your gravity feed tank. Might want to clean that one out too while you are at it. Also like was stated above, consider a separate inline system to filter out potential hazards...

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The first thing I'd suggest is that you verify the level of restriction in the filter before changing.

To me it sounds like (aside from dirty fuel) you have a need to add lift pump supply psi. This will allow you to run the filter longer if indeed it is loading up. What may be happening pure and simple is that the load on the fuel system is such that you simply need lift pumps and the filter restrictiuon really isn't that bad. I get this call a LOT from guys running the Juice and adding my Twin Pumps typically straightens them out.

Snap this baby on and you'll know immediately if the filter is REALLY restricted:

Added filtration is also a good idea, but if you truly have crap fuel, your first filter in line should be a bit on the "looser" side to strain out the major debris first. I've been finding this out the hard way on my Fuel Storage Tank as my 1 micron filter loads up WAY too fast...

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
WI Huck;1590132; said:
The filters are not the problem. They are doing the job they are supposed to. The problem is contaminated fuel. The only solution is to remove the bad fuel. It is not a good idea to try to run the fuel out by driving the truck. That only causes more problems. If you took a drink of milk and it was stale, you would not drink the rest of the glass so you could fill it up again with good stuff right? Find a new place to buy your milk, …uh fuel. :)

Huck
What he said.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shut off my aux tank about 1,000 miles ago to take it out of the equation, it has already been about 5,000 miles since I picked up water in the tank. I suppose I need to pull the tank and flush it. Any suggestions on flushing the tank? what should I use?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
WI Huck;1590132; said:

Huck
Yes, I agree... He needs to remove his tank and flush out any contaminants. That is the only real way to correct the problem. My auxilary filter suggestion was to help him out should he choose not to drop his tank.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Yes to dropping your tank and flushing out.I would spray brake cleaner in and then do a final rinse with clean diesel.Then I would search out where you got that bad fuel and tell them your problem--maybe if you come across loud enough,they might reimburse you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts