Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap.... I have the soldering gun out and wire trimmed. Im trying to make all headlights stay on for my trip to wyoming. I tried grounding the low beam but its not working. When i fluke the wires it looks like the positive to the low beam is cutting out when h. beams are on.

Does anyone know how to bypass the h. beam relay shutting off the L. beam relay?

I have the hood open now and eagerly await your input.

I read on another forum that this was an easy wire jump (no expensive wire harness mod $$$).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good qustion I was wanting to do the same thing as I just put a set of Denali projecters headlights on my truck,take a look.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Why be cheap ?? Install a HD Headlight harness you'll be glad you did .... Don't except the cheap imitations ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ditto Mac ~ to do as you suggest would place an additional load on an already marginal lighting system components (thinking switch here). Don't see it as a cost issue but as a matter of professionalism, performance and reliability ~ particularly w/storm clouds following one around day in/day out

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
the arftermarket harness will also draw the juice from the correct source, battery or altntr directly rather than relying on the light switch. do it right.........

·
Registered
663 Posts
problemchild said:
... When i fluke the wires it looks like the positive to the low beam is cutting out when h. beams are on.

Does anyone know how to bypass the h. beam relay shutting off the L. beam relay?

I read on another forum that this was an easy wire jump (no expensive wire harness mod $$$).
Dittos to the previous suggestions to use the JK or CasperElectronics harness…

Another option (as previously suggested by OC Dmax) is the PainlessPerformance high beam relay kit. This one just turns on the high and low beams without replacing the OEM wiring.

One possible DIY method is to add a diode between the input sides of the High and Low beam relays. Wire the diode with the arrow symbol pointing to the low beam relay. This will allow the Low beam relay to come on with the High, but prevent the high beam from coming on with the low. Since there are 4 relays, one for each lamp, you need two diodes (relays are located in the engine compartment fuse box - there is also a fuse in series with each lamp). Be sure to get a high voltage diode that can take the potential back EMF from the relay coil. I haven’t tried this but in theory it should work. It’s the same principal that the JK & Casper Electronics harness’ use except that they add a second set of relays that are driven by the OEM relays via the head lamp connectors. On these setups there is one diode between one set of relays (high and low) that drive both sets of lamps. I’m currently working on a harness that’s similar to the JK/Casper but will also turn on the Fog Lamps when the Highs are on. (I’m not saving any money but I am having a little fun). The best, easiest, and most economical way to go is the JK or Casper.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put me down for 1 of the "all 3 lights come on" harness. Ill buy 1 of those. I wont need expensive off road lights if your harness works.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Count me in on one also, let us know when there done.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
how bout anyone tell me in an 02 how to make the fogs come on and stay on?

·
Registered
663 Posts
OK, that's what I need ... a little pressure to get this done.

I'll post DIY details when I get everything working ...

Chevmiester,

One possible way to get the Fog Lights to stay on (with the low beams) would be to re-connect the fog light relay control to the low beam relay control. This would also disable the fog light button as they would be on whenever the low beams are on.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
jbplock said:
One possible way to get the Fog Lights to stay on (with the low beams) would be to re-connect the fog light relay control to the low beam relay control. This would also disable the fog light button as they would be on whenever the low beams are on.

Would that method utilize the OEM light switch? There's indications that the switch is a weak link on the 01's/02's. Interested in your developement and sorta thinking how it would play out/adaptable for those of us already w/HD light harnesses. Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
663 Posts
ShumDit,

Yes, the OEM light switch would still be used as the control to the BCM, which in turn controls the OEM relays. ARMY has also done this with diodes on the input side of the OEM light relays. See High Beam Relays for an excellent description. ARMY’s method is a great way of getting all the lights on when the High Beams are on. My setup (when I get it done) will be basically the same as the JK/Casper harness but with a 3rd relay for the fog lights. I also want to beef up the wiring to maximize the voltage at the bulbs (same as the JK/Casper harness does) plus keep the setup completely reversible.

·
Registered
294 Posts
jbplock,

How is that 3-relay harness progressing? I would like one also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts