Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 2500HD Silverado Crew Cab, 8500 miles. First oil change per salesman's advice and free coupon at 5000 miles (so dealership could once again check everything over...yeah, right.)

Today I finally took the time to service this truck myself. Given all that I've read on this and the other forum about more frequent oil changes, synthetic engine oil, changing the rear differential oil. etc, I decided I'd just change the oil again and convert to Rotella T synthetic 5W40 today, now that cold weather is finally here in NC.

Since I haven't done much towing with this truck yet, I hadn't changed out the rear fluid yet, but decided to do that today, too. First I checked the level and couldn't feel ANY fluid through the top hole. Then I drained it into a pan and measured and only got 2.5 quarts out. It was dark, watery, a little foamy on top, and yes, it smelled pretty nice for gear lube, like grape juice. I refilled with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 75W90.

I'm wondering how much, if any, damage has been done by having low fluid? Obviously this came from GM this way, and obviously my deadbeat dealer didn't check it at dealer prep nor during the initial oil change checkover. What recourse do I have at this point? Any recommendations?

Tomorrow I'll check the front differential and the transfer case. No reason to believe these are filled right either. If I change the front, is the same Mobil 1 75W90 OK? 2 quart capacity?

Thanks for the help!

Jim

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chevmeister, are you saying your rear differential was damaged like that from a factory low fill condition?

I've been reading on this site and the other one that it is NOT uncommon to find the rear coming 2 quarts low from the factory. How amazing! What absolute lack of quality! Sure, anything can happen once in a while, but this seems to be a common issue.

Every new owner of a Chevy truck needs to be aware of this possibility. As soon as they take delivery of their brand new, really expensive truck, they should go to a trustworthy independent mechanic and have the truck gone over stem to stern to catch this negligence before it causes serious damage.

Venting...steam escaping....

Jim

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gwmayes, it depends on how you define "much metal." There were a few very fine "splinters" and a coating of black debris (maybe 1/16 inch thick) that coated the magnetic end of the plug, but nothing more than I would expect. In other words, there was some metal but I wasn't shocked or surprised by the amount, having read that there is quite a bit of break-in with these rear ends.

I'm hoping no harm. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What really irritates me is that the dealer doesn't rectify this. If it is some kind of practice or corporate policy to underfill the fluids at the factory, I would think (would have thought) that the dealer would check all this before delivering the new vehicle to the customer.

Isn't that what dealer prep is? Obviously not.

The whole issue stinks, but it proves the only way to get things right is do them yourself. I should've gone completely over this truck myself when I got it. Next time I'll know better.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.