Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to be picking up an LBZ in the next month or so and have a concern. Where I am living currently work is on 1.5 miles, how bad is this for the duramax vs. a gas engine? Anything I can do to help? Will this short of drive hurt it? Will I have to let it warm up completely before I take off?

More than likely I will only be living here another 10 months, then the drive will be closer to 5 or 10 miles. In the meantime I don't want to hurt a $45,000 truck.

Thanks,
Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,610 Posts
In my opinion it is no harder on a diesel then it is on a gas. I drive less then 1 mile 4 times a day every day. I haven't had any problems with anything yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
No different then a gasser, just take it out on the hi-way every so often and get it hot to burn the carbon out. Put a tuner, intake and exhaust on and you will be addicted and will take the detour to work just so you can drive it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Walk? bicycle? Scooter?

I'd kill for anything less than my 35 miles one way.

Trouble is if I didn't live 35 miles away they would kill me.

Memphis!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is good to hear. Summer time I might take my mountain bike a couple days. Trust me, this Duramax will get some work on the highway pulling quads. At least two trips this summer from Ohio to Oklahoma, then out to Idaho in June. Throw in a couple 6 hour trips to upper Michigan and few to pa. Might try to make Glamis for Thanksgiving but that is a long shot.

-Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
i cant imangine driving 1 mile to work. its 2 miles from where i live to the main road out. then another 10 to the interstate :rockit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
JMann2380;1559629; said:
This is good to hear. Summer time I might take my mountain bike a couple days. Trust me, this Duramax will get some work on the highway pulling quads. At least two trips this summer from Ohio to Oklahoma, then out to Idaho in June. Throw in a couple 6 hour trips to upper Michigan and few to pa. Might try to make Glamis for Thanksgiving but that is a long shot.

-Josh
where in Idaho do you go?:cool::cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I drive 3 miles to work one way.I drive a beater and get 12-24 months out of a muffler and pipes.It takes my truck 10 to 15 miles to warm up.I don't drive it on short trips.
USA-1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Buy a scooter

Your engine will never get up to temperature. The water will condense inside instead of evaporating in a hot engine. The tops of each cylinder will start looking like a dark sponge. The glow plugs will be covered with crap. If you only drive a mile, get another form of transportation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Get the LBZ you will love it! You will find yourself taking the long way to work!!!!! :p:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
I live about 1/2km from my work and I normally walk except when it is nasty cold. I let my truck run for 15min or so get it warm and drive gently. I haven't had any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
In the long run it won't be good for your engine as stated in a previous response. The condensation is what will make the trouble for you. 1.5 miles is a short walk or a bike ride. Get the truck because for all other purposes you'll love it. Walking or riding a bike to work will also make you enjoy the truck even more when you do drive it.

Good luck and have fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
USA-1;1559769; said:
I drive 3 miles to work one way.I drive a beater and get 12-24 months out of a muffler and pipes.It takes my truck 10 to 15 miles to warm up.I don't drive it on short trips.
USA-1

6 miles for me and ditto. bought a 150,000 mile Corolla for back and forth to the hospital. plus I don't care where I park it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Once you get it ... you'll want to take the long way to work. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
duramex;1559700; said:
where in Idaho do you go?:cool::cool:
We go to St. Anthony's sand dunes, just outside Rexburg. Place is unbelievable.

As for the other comments...that is what I was afraid of. I wish I could afford to keep my jeep too, but can't. Guess I will get a remote starter and let it warm up for 10 min. or so before taking off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
10 mins of normal idling will not warm the engine up and the 1 mile trip will not bring it up to operating temperature. Diesels are designed to operate under load. No load idling is not the same. You could always find a beat up commuter car really cheap for daily driving and get a multi car discount on your insurance at the same time. You could still drive the truck every now and then just find a 6 mile alternate route to get the temps up and drive the p**s outta it on the weekends. It is your money but I would not do it every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well like I said it will only be for the next 6-10 months, then I am buying another house and the drive will be 5-10 miles or more. So I guess I will be taking the roundabout way to work in the meantime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
JMann2380;1559587; said:
I am probably going to be picking up an LBZ in the next month or so and have a concern. Where I am living currently work is on 1.5 miles, how bad is this for the duramax vs. a gas engine? Anything I can do to help? Will this short of drive hurt it? Will I have to let it warm up completely before I take off?

More than likely I will only be living here another 10 months, then the drive will be closer to 5 or 10 miles. In the meantime I don't want to hurt a $45,000 truck.

Thanks,
Josh
You will be fine... Just take it out every now and then and bring it up to full operating temp to prevent condensation in the oil. No different than a gasser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,508 Posts
You guys are lucky, currently I have a 34 mile drive one way. 2 years ago it was 40. I changed mines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
My buddy drives his LBZ to work 6 days a week which is only 1.7 miles away and has never had a problem. He has over 75,000 miles any does a lot of turning on and off. No problems at all.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top