Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering drop shackles for the rear my 2WD truck. I want to know if any here have experience with this.

Also, I read an old thread saying that a 3" drop shackles will result in only 1 1/2" drop. Is this true?

If I go with 3" or less, should I shim the leaf pack?

What impact will this have on ride and handling quality?

What impact will this have on towing capacity?

What brand should I go with? Is one better than the others?

Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
bpicard;1587937; said:
I'm considering drop shackles for the rear my 2WD truck. I want to know if any here have experience with this.

I have not tried drop shackles on a HD. However I have on some 1500's and a couple of S-10's. IMO it's going to hurt your towing. it's going to allow your rearend to swing side to side more. I noticed a big different with just adding 2 inches on my reg cab short box trucks. Extend cab wasn't as bad. From then on I decided if I was going to tow I would not consider drop shackles.

bpicard;1587937; said:
Also, I read an old thread saying that a 3" drop shackles will result in only 1 1/2" drop. Is this true?

True, because your pivoting on the front mounting bolt. So what ever you do at the rear shackle is going to be half at the axle.

bpicard;1587937; said:
If I go with 3" or less, should I shim the leaf pack?

IMO, no. You will not need to. But it wouldn't hurt.

bpicard;1587937; said:
What impact will this have on ride and handling quality?

Like I said before the towing will suffer IMO.

bpicard;1587937; said:
What impact will this have on towing capacity?

IMO, yes.

bpicard;1587937; said:
What brand should I go with? Is one better than the others?

Sorry I can’t help you there. All the ones I found were so wimpy looking I just made my own. I usually used twice the thickness in material and added more bracing if possible.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Zibby,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Any others?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Why not just use a block?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
you could do a flip kit but you'd have to do a slight notch as well. djm makes a flip kit w/ notch. also i would look into adding bags as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First of all you can't use blocks because the axles on these trucks are under the springs. You put a block in between the two, you will get a lift not a drop. I used the DJM shackles and hangers to achieve an exact 5" drop in the rear and I have no side to side movement at all. I am sure just using their shackles will not be a problem. Their shackles alone can give you between 1-3 inches of drop depending on which hole you use. I would suggest adding bags for more support once you drop it though. I have pictures of my drop in my garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts