Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 2500 HD with the LMM/Ally. Yesterday, while working, the 4WD quit. No noises, grinding, or the like. Got it in to the dealer this morning. Checked the transfer case - all kinds of filings on the magent, oil very metallic. Pulled the case, and the internals had grenaded. Truck has 2000 miles.

Now the search begins for a new t-case. Apparently there is no parts stock on this item, and we could end up waiting 2 weeks for the new t-case to be built, or pulled off the line. I really can't afford the truck to be down that long, as it's a front line work truck, and I really require it for my business.

So are these a carry over, or totally new for the GMT 900's? And if they're new, where can I get one, and how? Any tips on how to speed up the process?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
As far as I know I think that they are a new design.

Riley

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't think they are a new design at all. Gm doesn't have the money to have parts on the shelves anymore. Same thing happened to me only it was an A/C line. They told me it would be several weeks before one was made...and thats was when it was in the mid nineties for two weeks. I'd contact GM customer service and express your feelings on the matter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My rear in my 07.5 is messed up pretty bad, when im in reverse and have the wheel jacked to the left the tire doesnt wanna spin freely, andi can hear gears clicking in the rear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the truck is that important to your work, ask the dealer to pull one out of a new truck on the lot and throw it in your truck. If you have a good dealer they may do it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're back in business - got the truck back on Friday. Dealer was really surprised to see the new t-case arrive on Friday morning.

I was even more surprised to get the call at 10 a.m. that it was done!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
thats cool. glad they got you back in action.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
I don't think they are a new design at all. .

You bet they are a new design.

No more NP261/263.

cases are now Magna Powertrain; they bought out new process/new venture, but the GMT-900 xfer cases are NOT relabeld 261/263's

slightly different low range ratio and a couple other things that seem to have slipped my mind....

ben

·
Registered
845 Posts
I did the first oil change on my 07.5 yesterday, shes already leaking fluid out the transfer case tailshaft. Only 5,000 miles on the truck. Are the transfer cases going to be an issue on these trucks?
Bill

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
all slip yokes leak a little to some degree...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts