Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and as you can see I have a 2007 LBZ. I recently got the Edge Juice with Attitude Unit. I have installed it and it seems to work very well. I have only had it in the 1st 2 levels (Mileage and Tow). Looks to be a quality unit with a lot of nice options. I was just wondering if anyone has been using this for any length of time on the Duramax and how they affect durability/reliability? ANy known issues to watch for?

THE main reason I am asking is that after my NIGHTMARE experience with the 2005 6.0 Powerstroke Ford, I bit the bullet and traded it in for this, I swore I would not do ANY mods to my new Duramax........well we all know how that goes.
I have had the truck since Oct 06, wanted to get one before the New Year and all the EMISSIONS Crap I heard was coming. I have @ 5k on the truck, mainly used to haul my cars to track and some running around on weekends, not a daily driver. I have had NO Problems (except a minor belt noise when cold, who cares). I love the truck. Hauls my 4K lb Camper and 32 ft Trailer with ease and better mpg than my Ford.
My brother, who is a (dare I say it) Dodge Diesel guy, suggested I look for an EGT and Boost gauge setup for monitoring while towing. I got a good deal on this unit and it has a bunch of other features, like turbo timer, defuel settings, etc.

What should optimal EGT's be? Limit to?
What is safe boost for stock Duramax?
Etc?
Any Info appreciated.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have 1700 miles on mine, same setup and the only time I have a problem is when using the turbo timer. Aside from the usual error codes when you turn the truck off (while using the timer) my truck would get transmission "shift range inhibited" messages at startup. I turned off that feature and haven't had a problem since. As for EGT's my attitude monitor is set to alarm at 1200*

·
Registered
692 Posts
Max EGT 1350
Max Boost 32 psi
up to Level 4 should not have issues, some guys have had low fuel pressure issues on 5 & 6.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
woody240;1600583; said:
I have 1700 miles on mine, same setup and the only time I have a problem is when using the turbo timer. Aside from the usual error codes when you turn the truck off (while using the timer) my truck would get transmission "shift range inhibited" messages at startup. I turned off that feature and haven't had a problem since. As for EGT's my attitude monitor is set to alarm at 1200*

Woody,

When you were getting the " shift range inhibited" message did you have the clear codes on startup on. If you put it in clear to fast you will get that message. If you just want 1 or 2 seconds more you do not get that one. If you shut off the clear codes on start up you do not get it. The normal service 4x4 error are normal too. Once you start it up you do not see any error. They are hidden, if you have to bring it in to the deal clear the low voltage codes & you are good to go. They state that in the book to that those are normal. Everything is working right. I would use the turbo timer & save you turbo for the future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ive been running mine for about 9000 miles now seems to be doin great. I unlocked level 6 and plugged the fuel rail could use a high performance pump but for the most part seems to be doin fin. The only thing i dont like is that it doesnt show the tranny slippage like the older ones did. level 5 and 6 will suck the fuel rail dry if you dont plug it and the egts are set at 1350 and boost at 36

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can you shed some light on what you mean by plugging the fuel rail?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You guys run out of fuel in level 5 and 6? I can carry level 6 all the way to 95mph uner WOT w/ plenty of fuel ?????

Edge is an alright product. piss poor customer service!

Its pretty reliable, it just throws alot of codes w/ the turbo timer in use

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Teck;1600626; said:
Max EGT 1350
Max Boost 32 psi
up to Level 4 should not have issues, some guys have had low fuel pressure issues on 5 & 6.
Teck or anyone else....What is " Blocked and Stuck??:confused:

·
Registered
538 Posts
On my 07 with only 2,500 miles, edge installed for about 400 max miles and only on occassion playing on level 6, guessing 20 full throttle rolling starts or highway full throttle runs and never doing a boosted launch... saw 1st hand (my own two eyes) scorch marks on the trans steel clutches!!! BE CAREFULL!! SCIV now being installed. Trans was NEVER limped either. Max boost for me was only 24 psi stock or level 6! Im also at 5,000 ft alt. On a stock truck, EGT will climb VERY fast. 1300 long before 60 mph, but not a problem for very short duration runs (racing). I never saw lov fuel pressure. On my truck, had option to display trans slipping which I watched like a hawk. Then again... maybe it was back down which I never saw unless EGTs where going higher than I set the backdown level to. Not sure snce I sold it about a week ago. Remember, the 100hp setting is Rear wheel hp at about 4,000 ft. Move to sea level and calculate at flywheel, you are probably about 130 or more hp.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is a finger stick.....keep it clean...hahaha

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well Boss69,
I would say the same as Serpa4, if you play with that juice w/o tranny modification, then you are playing with fire. The stock LBZ can limp a tranny, so add more and .....oooops.
I was at the dealer today looking for a new truck and I was amazed at the ignorance of people in the business about this tranny. They think its completely bulletproof. Check out the tranny forum areas and then you will see the light, I wish I had before mine limped and I was left searching for answers. Better yet give Mike L. a call from the tranny forums and he will give you some facts. Even to this day, the dealer has no idea what happened and has not correctly diagnosed the issue, but I know what is wrong, that's why I am making a deal on a new truck.
I love the juice but I am also looking forward to a tranny that can take all the extra HP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts