Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck and I can see where it has had a fifth wheel in it before. Im not sure much about 5th wheels Ive been around goosenecks a bunch but we've never had a 5th wheel camper. Im wanting to put a gooseneck in my truck and a fifth wheel and I've seen a few trucks that have fifth wheel rails with a slide in gooseneck instead of having a seperate ball in the bed. Im wondering if all the 5th wheel mounts are the same and what is the best system to have this way.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think you need to look at the B & W Companion Hitch. It can be used as a fifth-wheel or goose neck with a turnover ball. I've had one in my 07 Classic for about five yrs. now. Only one hole needs to be drilled in the bed, two more if you use the safety chains for the goose neck. The entire fiver part removes by simply loosening two U-bolts, leaving the bed flat with nothing sticking up. It runs a bit higher than coventional hitches but it's worth it. Pretty easy to install too. I did it myself with a little help from my stepson. I was close to 70 at the time. It uses existing holes in the frame. I currently tow a 40' Montana but I have had a 30' Durango in the past. I believe it's good for as much weight as our trucks are rated for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need something on 5th wheel rails because my truck has already been drilled for those and Id really rather not drill yet another hole in by truck bed

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
There are lots of gooseneck adapters that fit 5th wheel rails..here's but one example:

I use a simpler one like this for my horse trailer:

They work well if you've already got 5th wheel rails, or in your case, plan to reinstall them. And of course that gives you the flexibility to have a 5th wheel as well if you require or want such.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with PrivatePilot, you need one of the gooseneck adapters that fit standard fifth wheel rails. The spacing between the fifth wheel rails is pretty standard these days. So rails from one brand will work with a fifth wheel hitch of another brand and a gooseneck adapter from another brand. I don't need a gooseneck adapter, but I'm using Hidden Hitch rails, Reese fixed legs and a Drawtite hitch. My point, you should be able to buy individual items on ebay or craigslist and they will still work together.

Also, the gooseneck adapter uses different slots than the fifth wheel hitch, so in most cases, both pieces will fit on the rails at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts