Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has an 07 clasic lbz.when you run it in 4 wheel drive you can't keep it on the road. if you give some extra fuel it violently jerks left to right. it has cognito leveling kit,pitman suports,hd tie rods, running 305/70/16's on wheels with i think 4.5" backspace.has brand new tires and just lined up.

I have the same truck with the tb cranked with 285/75/16's and no steering upgrades. my truck pulls straight no jerk in 4 wheel. we thought for sure there was a problem with the steering but now we wonder if gm put the wrong gears in the front end. could this be posable, would it drive at all on dry roads in 4X4 if this is the case?

when i say all over the road i mean you are luckey to keep it on the road when you get on it

any imput would be a great help, we want to be sure what is wrong before we take it to the dealer due to it being moded

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have the gear ratio been changed in the diffs if so have bothe the front and rear been done I changed mine from 3.93 to 4.10 if i left the front and only changed the back the front tires would be trying to pull the rear tires did your friend do the work himself or did he buy the trk already moded out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the gear ratio been changed in the diffs if so have bothe the front and rear been done I changed mine from 3.93 to 4.10 if i left the front and only changed the back the front tires would be trying to pull the rear tires did your friend do the work himself or did he buy the trk already moded out
it is stock, never touched the gears. this is how it come from the factory.is it posable gm put in the wrong gears?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
welcome to torque steer. open style diff in the front, will only send power to the wheel with less grip. make sure tire psi is same all the way around then measure the outside diameter of each tire. if the tire are more than an inch out you will have problems. lookup "stagger" in any circle track info site

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
It is most likely from cranking the TB try dropping them back down it could be to late and the front is wore out. It is not the gears we get post like this every year around the time.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Take My Word For It You Need To Turn Your T-bars Down Or Get Ready To Replace Tie Rods... Just Put New Ones On Mine On Saturday Due To 4wd Launching Without Rolling Them Down...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
has brand new tires all the way around, new hd tie rods, new pitman and idler arms with braces.

my truck is cranked as much as his and has stock steering parts with no trouble

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is most likely from cranking the TB try dropping them back down it could be to late and the front is wore out. It is not the gears we get post like this every year around the time.
what do you mean by the front wore out? steering parts or front dif.?

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
The steering/suspension parts, but since they have been replaced. Was the truck aligned at a GOOD shop after the crank? I would try dropping the bars and see if it helps and see where to go from there. My guess is his wider 305s + wider aftermarket 4.5" wheels exasperate the problem over your 285 on stockers. My guess the dealer will do nothing with the aftermarket parts and cranking done to the truck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The steering/suspension parts, but since they have been replaced. Was the truck aligned at a GOOD shop after the crank? I would try dropping the bars and see if it helps and see where to go from there. My guess is his wider 305s + wider aftermarket 4.5" wheels exasperate the problem over your 285 on stockers. My guess the dealer will do nothing with the aftermarket parts and cranking done to the truck.
I agree the wheels and tires are larger, i thought about puting my wheels and tires on his to see if it helps. it was aligned at a good shop. as far as the bars they are cranked but with the stock keys. I have cranked alot of t . bars and never seen anything like this.

I am going to try to get under it myself this weekend, i have been taking his word that everything is tight in the steering.

I still think there is something very out of wack, his truck will jerk 5' one way and 5' back the other way back the other way. with torque steer i would expect it to just pull one way.

thanks to everyone for all the input!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would say idler & pitman. Better check em. Even if you are running the braces on em, you can still have slop. I know from experience!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.