Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New truck, '06 LLY ZF-6. 430 miles. Stock.

On my way home today, 'Ding, Ding, Ding! Reduced Engine Power' displayed on DIC. No CEL. Oil pressure, temp, fuel, volts, all fine. Almost home, no big deal, so I kept going. Turning off the main drag, from a stop, I stalled the engine, assuming from reduced engine power. Starts right back up.

(I am considering this one ignition cycle)

I get home, back into my driveway, shut truck down. Wait about 30 seconds, restart truck. No CEL. (second ignition cycle) 'Ding, Ding, Ding! Reduced Engine Power' on DIC. Shut truck down.

I go inside, turn on computer, go back outside with flashlight. Pop hood, all intercooler boots seem fine, everything under hood looks okay for just a quick look-over. Close hood, restart truck, (third ignition cycle) no message on DIC, no CEL. Took for a ride, all is well, for now.

I've been shifting between 1800-2200 rpm, depending on conditions. The only thing I can think of, aside from a problem with the truck, is that today is extremely windy - 30-40 knot winds, gusting to 50-60. I drive over a suspension bridge that was VERY WINDY, to say the least. Right after I crossed bridge, is when I got the message.

Is there any way that the wind could have caused a faulty MAF reading or something? Just curious. Any useful ideas are very much appreciated, as I am rather confused.

Ty

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I would start by getting the codes read. If it gave you a message there should be a code stored.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed that the LLY thread goes to '06. If this needs to be moved, by all means...

Will get codes read tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I moved it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Talked to dealer, and got the following info. Today had two vehicles in service bay for reduced engine power - no CEL. Both had soaking wet air filters.

Also said that just because I got that message on DIC, does not necessarily mean a code was stored. Obviously would have to scan to verify. I don't believe my air filter is wet, as truck sat all day, and I didn't drive through any puddles. :think:

I'll have to check that out...

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
It's worth a look. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Filter bone dry. Running fine...

:think:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to dealer this am. No codes stored. Replaced throttle pedal assembly, thought okay, road tested, Reduced Engine Power. Back to dealer...

Started testing with DMM, and found a wire on truck side of throttle position sensor pulled from terminal. Replaced, and everything is good to go. No answer on why no code, but was informed that when this message appears on DIC WITHOUT a CEL, indicates problem with throttle pedal assembly / throttle position sensor...

Just thought this was a useful bit of info.

Ty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts