Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when the engine auto high idles in the winter the exhaust brake light in the info center lights up. it shuts down the turbo to create more back pressure in the engine to build heat faster but I don't have the exhaust brake option. as far as I can tell on the LLY its a function of the VVT.
can I just go to the dealer and buy the dash switch for it, and plug it in and go? or is there also some sort of special programing I need to flash the ECM with to make it work. I haul heavy with this thing and dont want to pay the 3-400 for a inline brake. specialy since its a company truck and not mine personaly.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ttt

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Don't know why the exhaust brake light is coming on....weird. But if your truck did not come with an exhaust brake, it will cost you a lot more than $3-400 to add one on. More in the $1300-$1500 range for adding one on.

You are right about the high idle and the sound...it is a result of the VVT.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the light that is coming on according to the owners Manuel, is the indicator light for the exhaust brake. hermmm.........

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You should have a rocker switch just to the right of your AC controls that is for the exhaust brake. Guess it would just be easy enough to crawl under the truck and take a gander. LOL That would be a nice bonus to accidentally have the factory to have installed one. Do you have air seats or air ride from the factory??

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Not sure but I believe the 2006 model has the exhaust brake as part of the Turbo and does not require air pressure to operate.
If you have the switch as described above you have an exhaust brake.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on the '06 the brake is a feature of the VVT. the question is, if I buy the proper switch and plug it in will it work. But I do have airride seats. The only three switches I have in the dash are, PTO, Clearance light cut out, and over drive override.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.