Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See earlier post. Took delivery Jan 27 and problem was immediately noticed, dropped off for repair Feb 3. "The Silver Fox" is still in the shop and the dealer mechanics are trying but now at a total loss as to the problem. Rhythymic audible metallic rubbing noise coming from the right rear end that gets louder and speeds up and slow's down with the rotation/speed of the truck. So far: new drive shaft seals, rebalance drive shaft, then R&R with a new drive shaft, complete and total R&R of rear brake system. Next: R&R the entire rear axle; just awaiting GM approval. Truck has 511 miles on it; owned it 12 days, been in the shop 5 days. Details to follow.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well, before I read all that was done to your truck, I would have said that you had a rock between the rim and rock guard. You have drum brakes on the rear right???? That is weird. Hope they fix it....if not, looks like a new truck for you again.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
they should just give you a new rear end and driveline and be done with the problem

·
Registered
448 Posts
YUP...stop chasing it on a 511 mile truck.

This is why I worry so much about giving up my 100% from day 1 LLY.

Too late now though...LBZ ordered.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well, before I read all that was done to your truck, I would have said that you had a rock between the rim and rock guard. You have drum brakes on the rear right???? That is weird. Hope they fix it....if not, looks like a new truck for you again.
DRUM brakes on rear are on the 1500's only, not on the 2500/3500 trucks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Boooyyyaaahhhh.....don't worry they will get the "Silver Fox" fixed!:cool:

Rick

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Bad mechanics giving good mechanics and good products a bad name. I hate parts changers, send those mechanics back to school to learn how to fix and diagnose:rant: Since they can't figure it out, hopefully they can bolt in a new assembly.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
DRUM brakes on rear are on the 1500's only, not on the 2500/3500 trucks.
Actually 1500s have disc brakes on the rear. I thought I saw some pictures of someone that had a dually and changed them out and they were drums....Wasn't sure though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Actually 1500s have disc brakes on the rear. I thought I saw some pictures of someone that had a dually and changed them out and they were drums....Wasn't sure though.
Not anymore, 2005 they changed back to drums on the rear of half tons.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"The Silver Fox" Problem Diagnosed & Repaired

After 5 days in the shop and replacing all driveshaft seals, then replacing the entire driveshaft, then changing out the entire rear brake assembly including rotors, calipers, and everything associated with the rear brakes, the problem appears to have been two new factory rear brake rotors that were originally manufactured untrue. The dealer was headed into the rerar axle next so I'm glad it turned out to be just rotors. Who would have guessed two new factory installed brake rotors would have been manufactured untrue. We picked "The Silver Fox" up last night, the dealer had washed and detailed her again, we drove her home and it appears the problem is solved and repaired. Great dealer support in my opinion. "The Silver Fox" is finally back home again. She's gotten off to a bit of a rocky start but she's good as new now and we're hitching up and heading for Ft. Walton Beach this weekend. Details to follow.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
same thing, but with 1500 drums

I just traded in a 2005 1500 that gave me nothing but grief from the brake system. Same as you, albeit with drums in the rear -- they both came from the factory out of specs! Can you believe that? Where's the QC on the assembly line? We heard it first time the brakes were applied.

Then, b/c the rears weren't engaging properly, the fronts did double duty and scored the discs. The entire elemental brake system was replace 2 months into ownership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts